Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smallest film SLR that takes m42 too?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Smallest film SLR that takes m42 too? Reply with quote

Olympus can't because of register?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus can't because of register, correct.

Try a Pentax ME, ME Super or MX. They should all accept the common no-flange M42 adapters.

The MX was all manual, so that would be my first choice.

They are all very small indeed, as small or smaller than the OM's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Yashica FX3s with an adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Pen F or Pen FT are very small and there is a M42 to Pen F adaptor. The cameras are half format 18x24mm but use standard 35mm film.

But this can be a very costly alternative to use M42 lenses since the cameras itself are quiete expensive and the adaptors are hard to find (and also not cheap).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujica ST801, Konica FT-1, Konica FC-1 not too big either. Pentax MX is a great little camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax SuperA is actually even smaller than the ME Super or MX. But if you prefer fully manual body, go for MX... it's a nice piece of equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had MX in my hands at nearby flea-market about 6 months ago, there was also some 100 mm macro there too in the bag too but there was no price and we were kind of hurry.

It feels really tiny.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 25 years the ME Super defined for me what a camera should be. It was lovely. I just shouldn't have used it to protect me from a rock when I fell over. Flesh heals, cameras don't. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri MF-1 is the smallest M42 SLR I have, but admittedly the difference to the various Fujicas is not that great. It's noticeably lighter, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica Fx-3 is small and neat very light too -admittedly its c/y mount but an m42 adapter is easy to get and they are usually flanged for auto lenses and work to infinity. Used mine with m42 lenses with no problems.
With an m42 helios 77M-4

and A Helios 44 with an m39/42 adapter as well

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about a "native" M42 camera, Fujica ST605 and its improved model ST605N came to mind immediately, and they're designed to have stop-down TTL metering, so you would be using the camera the way it's meant to, without adapters or such.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Helios 77 looks gigantig on FX-3. They seem to be reasonably priced too. Any know common issues?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are very reliable and solid, only issue is the leather peeling off, but its easy to replace I did on the one aboveand they were made by Cosina for Yashica. There are a whole load of clones made over the years. The Cosina variants are K mount but identical otherwise and the same basic camera was sold under the Braun label as well in different mounts. Later Yashicas and maybe others have 1/2000 speed too Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Pentax MX tends to go for some money (>US$100)

The Pentax ME/ME Super and the rest of that line are all-electronic, and I worry about how well these work after all these years.

So you may be better off looking into some of the other options mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Pentax MX

2- Fujica 605 N

All manual. To "drive" the car.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always get yourself a late version of the Pentax SV. Laughing