Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what caused spotmatic mirror to temporarily hang up?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: what caused spotmatic mirror to temporarily hang up? Reply with quote

it happened yesterday as i tried to shoot a tight close-up at the helios 44-2's minimum distance. i got camera going again after some fiddling. any ideas? (edited to reflect excellent advice i received on original post.)

Last edited by fish4570 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it really is a register problem, the mirror should bang into the rear group if the lens is at or near infinity - there should be no issues close-up. It might be worth while to see whether it isn't really a mount or adapter issue with the aperture coupling!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct, sevo, on when the rear of lens protrudes most into the body. if so, then i have no clue as to why. i was shooting wide open, as i have done before with helios with no issue. there are no issues with a 55/2 super takumar, or spiratone 28, or vivitar 35 or ivitar 135. hmmm ... Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no adapter issues. all are m42 lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it's hanging on the lens itself? If so, then just remove the lens, no? I guess I don't understand why you would lose 9 frames because of this...

The helios 44-2's elements only protrude about 4mm past the mount, which is relatively nothing. My older biotar comes out around 11mm!

Last edited by themoleman342 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed this on a spotty by removing the bottom cover. There's a pin that needs `adjusting' and maybe lubricating. It's fairly simple.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check condition of mirror-bumper foam; sometimes deteriorate to goo, mirror sticks to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can't be anything to do with the lens. The 44-2 doesn't protrude as far as the Super Takumar 1.4/50, which originally partnered the Spottie. In fact the camera works OK with the Mir-1B, which protrudes even further. I don't know of any M42 lenses that can't be used on it.

Need a bit more info on the problem please..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pulled the lens and gently poked at the edge of the mirror. it swung down. then i foolishly wound the camera and fired a shot with no lens to see what would happen. the shutter stopped part way open. (it is difficult to remember the details because of frustration.) i knew that fogged a frame or two or three. so i wound off all the film and processed it today. seven shots developed. one of those had a flare. the other six look fine. so i lost more than nine. anyhow, everything seems to be working just fine now. the foam actually is not brittle nor sticky, by the way. aieeeeee!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a CLA may be needed for the camera. I have a few Spotmatics and pre Spotmatic Pentaxes and on a couple of the oldest least cared for ones the mirror hangs. Its probably a lube issue or some such problem and easily fixed but I never have bothered - these two older cameras of mine are beaters and I have others so it would not be worth my while paying to have them fixed. Yours may be a different story.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***so i lost more than nine.***

You can always wind back to the leader after making a note of frames exposed, then put the film in your other camera, put the lens cover on and hold it say against your chest (or hand) and also cover the viewfinder (this is to prevent stray light from getting in) whilst winding and firing the shutter till you get to the fresh frame, with one blank added on in case of error.