Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Speed Graphic "Frankenstein" 3 1/4x 4 1/4"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Speed Graphic "Frankenstein" 3 1/4x 4 1/4" Reply with quote

Graflex made a great number of cameras for the old quarter-plate 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" format. This was at one time a common standard size, between the regular 4x5 and the "Miniature" 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6x9). They were smaller and lighter than the 4x5, but still had a good size negative for contact prints.

Around 1945-1950 however the quarter-plate format lost popularity, probably because it became more common to enlarge than to do contact printing, so 6x9 or even 6x6 became acceptable for professional photography.

The result is that Graflex didn't provide upgraded backs for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 cameras, roll backs for 3 1/4"x 4 1/4" are rare, sheet film is rare, and there are no Grafmatics (fast load sheet film magazines) for them. Nor is there much that was made by third parties. So they are less desirable even for todays users of Speed Graphics.

But still, these are just as well made, full featured and adaptable as any other camera made by Graflex. And like all Graflexes, they are very modular.

I rebuilt this one from two junk bodies of Anniversary model Speed Graphics that had already been stripped for parts - One had bad bellows, no back and no rangefinder or viewfinder, one had a bad shutter and bent rails. I added a few spare parts from elsewhere, built a back from wood and brass that can take 120 roll film holders, and here we have a fully functional Speed Graphic -

With Kodak Anastigmat (1944 vintage, a Tessar) 6 3/8" (162mm) in Supermatic shutter. The strap is from a wrecked Miniature Speed Graphic.

These models have rise and shift plus a drop bed, but no swing and tilt. The rangefinder is the earlier externally adjustable Kalart, which seems to be no good for lenses over 135mm. I may replace this with a later Kalart. The viewfinder is also a Graflex product, but from some much earlier version of Speed Graphic, that I found separately. I could put in a conventional finder, but I like the looks of this one. It is of course pretty useless for the framing I will be doing -

This is my new back with Graflok for 6x9. I made it a vertical back because I am always going vertical. Maybe my next experiment will be a rotating back ? I still have a fully functional 3 1/4"x 4 1/4" spring back that can be installed in a jiffy.

The Groundglass frame is an old Graflex 6x9 pack film holder. I am going to put a hood on it, if I don't find a proper Graflex 6x9 groundglass.

With 6x9 120 film holder.

One reason to use these bigger Graphics is that its actually much easier to adapt strange lenses on them, as they use much bigger lensboards than the "Miniature" types. Like the Zeiss Biotessar 16.5 cm f/2.8

One feature the "Miniatures" don't have is a drop bed, which is necessary to use wide angle lenses like this Wollensak 90mm/6.8 (like a 35mm lens for 6x9). These models also have focusing rails inside the box, unlike the "Miniatures". I have been testing a 6.5cm f/6.8 Boyer Pearl also, which should be like a 28mm.

With the lensboard system pretty much anything can be mounted. If the junk camera comes with no lens any good lens from a 6x9 or 9x12 folder can be adapted - this is a 13.5cm Kodak Anastigmat in Compur that was originally on a Kodak/Nagel Recomar 9x12

These also have enough extension and sturdiness, besides the larger lensboards, to take truly large lenses like the Graflex 15-inch (380mm) Optar. The hood takes gel filters in a tray.

Much more modest, but much more practical, is the "legendary" Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7

Who needs a Linhof grip ? I converted this wooden grip from a flash holder rig.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! You just moved the Semi Minolta II that was formerly residing on my workbench back into a plastic storage box. My 4x5 Speed Graphic has been moved up to the current project. In fact, I had just run into a website with some hints as to an easy way to give the tilt and swivel axes to the Speed Graphic. If I can fabricate some new rails to add drop I will be a very happy man.

Does anyone know where to shop for a replacement bellows for the Speed Graphic?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilt shouldn't be too hard. The essentials are already there.
The uprights on the lens standard can be modified by grinding off the channel that prevents tilting, and perhaps reinforcing the remaining metal.
The Busch arrangement is a good model.

Tilt plus drop-bed means you have fall as well.

Swing seems like it would be difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty!!! I think Graflex are most beautuful cameras ever!! Smile