Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri 1.9 Super
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Petri 1.9 Super Reply with quote

Some weeks ago there was a unusual RF camera for sale locally: A Petri 1.9 Super with a Kurivbayashi 1.9/4.5 cm lens.

The camera was in not-working / defective condition, and therefore rather cheap. It arrived today, and while it looks rather dirty (including lots of verdigris), it nevertheless is a beauty! The shutter isn't working, but the aperture and focusing / rangefinder are OK. Once cleaned, the camera should look really nice, and hopefully the shutter is just blocked by some hardened oil residue (and not really defective).

I'll post more images one the "new" camera is cleaned Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting camera!

Those bluish stains look an awful lot like corroded copper A/C water-tubes, which I've seen a lot of in my career.
Hopefully it's something else on your camera.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting camera!

Those bluish stains look an awful lot like corroded copper

-D.S.

It is corroded copper (those blue stains usually are cooper salts of acetic acid). The copper comes from the two electrical contacts on the hot shoe, and the acetic acid usually comes from sweat ... and together they form those copper salts! Interestingly, they are only superficial and can be wiped off pretty easily. But cleaning all those tiny corners will take some time anyway.

Good news is that the shutter decided to work as well - probably it simply needed a rest and a peaceful night after the ride from its previous owner ...! All speeds from 1/500s to 1 s are working - how accurate is another question, but probably not that far off.

The aperture is working as well, the rangefinder seems accurate, and focusing is smooth. There a quite a few superficial and tiny scratches on the front lens (or maybe just on the coating), but the lens looks clear, an there's no haze. The Orikkor is a classical [6/4] double gauss, and as the camera seems to be in working order, I may run a color negative film soon.

S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting camera!

Those bluish stains look an awful lot like corroded copper

-D.S.

It is corroded copper (those blue stains usually are cooper salts of acetic acid). The copper comes from the two electrical contacts on the hot shoe, and the acetic acid usually comes from sweat ... and together they form those copper salts! Interestingly, they are only superficial and can be wiped off pretty easily. But cleaning all those tiny corners will take some time anyway.

Good news is that the shutter decided to work as well - probably it simply needed a rest and a peaceful night after the ride from its previous owner ...! All speeds from 1/500s to 1 s are working - how accurate is another question, but probably not that far off.

The aperture is working as well, the rangefinder seems accurate, and focusing is smooth. There a quite a few superficial and tiny scratches on the front lens (or maybe just on the coating), but the lens looks clear, an there's no haze. The Orikkor is a classical [6/4] double gauss, and as the camera seems to be in working order, I may run a color negative film soon.

S

Fingers crossed, you'll be able to repair it! I absolutely adore that lens. It's really wonderful and has quite an interesting rendering. Don't know if it's any different, when it is used on the original camera.