Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

When not using a manual lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: When not using a manual lens Reply with quote

This may sound like a very basic question about preserving manual lens longevity. When I am not using a manual lens, is there a preferred way to store it regarding the aperture opening? That is, should the aperture be stopped down so that it is almost closed or would it be better to have the aperture open wide when not in use? Or, does it not really matter?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my Flektogon at half mast ( f8 ) but that's because it can stick if I leave it wide open. Rolling Eyes

The rest? I have never knowingly chosen an aperture before putting them on the shelf. No idea if it makes any difference. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not confirm get sticking at wide open.

store lenses dust , humid free place and allow get light throw on them to avoid fungus.

To me solution is big transparent plastic boxes.

http://forum.mflenses.com/storing-lenses-t812.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I keep my Flektogon at half mast ( f8 ) but that's because it can stick if I leave it wide open. Rolling Eyes

Same for me, so I leave it at f22 Sad But would think it is better to leave all lenses WO if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Same for me, so I leave it at f22 Sad But would think it is better to leave all lenses WO if possible.

Oh, perhaps it's a common problem then. Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jena lenses what have A/M switch decades in storage in dusty environment can be biggest enemy , blades works by a weak spring. If blades get dust, oil they will be stick. My oldest lenses in my storage 5 yrs now and none of them stick, so safe enough to store them wide open and stopped down too. I bought , try and sell numerous lenses including Jena, zebra finish quiet sensitive to get stuck, before and after much less this is my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was wondering about....if you leave it at one end or the other, is it more likely to become sticky? Is a mid-position best to keep the aperture from becoming sticky?

SonicScot wrote:

The rest? I have never knowingly chosen an aperture before putting them on the shelf. No idea if it makes any difference. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing mine is down to the weak spring, everything looks clean otherwise.
It's my only lens that does this. Sad
Oh well, so long as I remember to leave it half cocked it's fine. (small price to pay for an excellent lens)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Mine did the same until I got it serviced. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodeworld wrote:
That's what I was wondering about....if you leave it at one end or the other, is it more likely to become sticky? Is a mid-position best to keep the aperture from becoming sticky?

I don't really know, some of the more experienced members would know better than me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Aha! Another! Perhaps it's time I had mine CLA'd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's best when not in use:
1. WO?
2. Closed down all the way
3. Somewhere in the middle

Just wondering if one is better than the other to maintain the 'health' of the aperture.

SonicScot wrote:
mo wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Aha! Another! Perhaps it's time I had mine CLA'd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box one small lenses. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

I use these excellent boxes the 'Really Useful Box Company' they advertise them with a car parked on 4 of them so they're strong. They stack and there's different sixes - depth - that stack as well. For long lenses I've managed to cut some partitions out of the inserts and I've got a long Soligor 400mm that's just about 12 inches long in the box. It's not easy to cut the partitions out, but with care it makes a great storage system. Medium size lenses I store in a box with one insert removed and standing up.
The boxes aren't airtight, they are opaque, the lids lock on nicely. They aren't the cheapest, but I looked everywhere and tried all kinds of storage before I found these. I've got five of them with lenses, flashes, converters and tubes in the partitioned boxes and six smaller ones with 'stuff'.
I love them, I stack them in my 'office' with a dehumidifier running alongside them, and the apertures as I left them !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes to the aperture blades it would be more the deterioration of the grease than keeping the blades open or closed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice storage solution...and like the bottle of wine near by Smile

So...is there a rule of thumb whether apertures are best left wide open, closed or somewhere in between when the lens is stored?

Thanks

Lloydy wrote:

I use these excellent boxes the 'Really Useful Box Company' they advertise them with a car parked on 4 of them so they're strong. They stack and there's different sixes - depth - that stack as well. For long lenses I've managed to cut some partitions out of the inserts and I've got a long Soligor 400mm that's just about 12 inches long in the box. It's not easy to cut the partitions out, but with care it makes a great storage system. Medium size lenses I store in a box with one insert removed and standing up.
The boxes aren't airtight, they are opaque, the lids lock on nicely. They aren't the cheapest, but I looked everywhere and tried all kinds of storage before I found these. I've got five of them with lenses, flashes, converters and tubes in the partitioned boxes and six smaller ones with 'stuff'.
I love them, I stack them in my 'office' with a dehumidifier running alongside them, and the apertures as I left them !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Could be, but the blades on my Flek plus a CZJ Sonnar were stuck when I got them (I reckon the kit was kept in a garage for years unused as the chrome bits on the aluminium case that they were in were rusty...anyway freed the blades with lighter fuel but they still stick if left WO after about a day or so, and had a fright in Ibiza last week when the flek blades were stuck open (probably because of the heat and humidity) and had to take the back off to free them Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodeworld wrote:
Nice storage solution...and like the bottle of wine near by Smile

]

I'm never far away from a bottle of wine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Very neat storage system -- much more organized than mine.

I keep the smaller lenses in plastic airtight food containers, with renewable silica gel canisters inside along with humidity-indicating strips. The few larger lenses are stored inside Pelican/Hardigg cases, also with canisters. When the canisters are freshly recharged, the humidity can be less than 10% (too low?). I rejuvenate the canisters in the oven when the humidity gets up to about 30%, according to the indicating strips. Radioactive lenses are stored in a separate food container in a room far away from where I usually am (and behind lead shields, too.)

The aperture is just left at some random setting while the lenses are stored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take them out once a month and work the aperture a little to avoid stickyness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
and had to take the back off to free them Shocked

If I'm daft enough to leave it wide open this is what I have to do too, it only takes a day for them to stick. Confused
I might take it apart today for a cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only reason to store a lens one way or another is to help un-stick it, and that will depend on how the aperture system is designed, better engineered lenses have levers with springs that permit excess forces without causing damage.
The best option is to clean and re-lube, otherwise WO should be fine, and possibly the preferred position for transport.

Nice storage system Lloydy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like a nice storage solution, but, with the tops on, wouldn't the humidity build up in there? Just wondering....

Lloydy wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the site out....was wondering what size box this is that you showed here.

Lloydy wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodeworld wrote:
So, what's best when not in use:
1. WO?
2. Closed down all the way
3. Somewhere in the middle

Just wondering if one is better than the other to maintain the 'health' of the aperture

I don't think it makes any difference. Lenses usually get sluggish before they stick altogether, so you know which ones are in danger. It's common sense to store these at the aperture setting you prefer for your pictures, just in case. Question

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those storage boxes are the 21 Litre box with two trays.
The box outside size is - 46 long x 35 wide x 20 high cm ( 18 x 13 3/4 x 8 inch )
Each compartment in the tray is 80 deep x 90 long x 75 wide ( 3 1/8 x 3 1/2 x 2 7/8 inch )

The lid is very well ventilated so air circulation is excellent, the blue handles clip the lid on tightly and the box is carried by moulded handles under the blue handles - if that makes sense.

The boxes I have are the 12 compartment ones, that's two trays of 12 each. There are bigger compartment ones, and the web site uses one picture for all the different sizes - confusing.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b21_0litreLDT12.php

We've just arrived in the Lake District for a few days with a couple of boxes in the back of my old Landcruiser, and the rest of the luggage on top. These boxes are perfect for transporting lenses and gear. They're strong enough to stand on. I just wrap the lenses in a bit of bubble wrap to stop them rubbing on the plastic of the tray.
They are a bit expensive, but in my opinion they are worth every penny. There are a lot of cheaper boxes out there, and that's what they are 'cheap' - I've tried a lot and these are by far the best.