Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-20 and Zenitar 16mm rear filter, optical design or myth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Mir-20 and Zenitar 16mm rear filter, optical design or myth Reply with quote

Hello,
I am interested on this as I bought both lenses planning on using them on a 5D but then I found some mixed opinions regarding mirror clearance problems.
I also found people saying that the filters are a necesary part of the optical design and other saying that without filter there is just a focus shift, that can be corrected reajusting the focus scale.
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Zenitar 16mm Reply with quote

In converging rays a parallel glas plate (like that filter) produces astigmatism and a focus shift. I think the optical designers that design the Zenitar have corrected that - so you better use that filter.

More examples for the correction with parallel glas plates:
- Microscopic lenses have often a correction for the coverglas on the object
- Lenses for video cameras with 3 CCDs are special corrected for the beamsplitter prism in the camera

Leica Camera developed a very thin infrared filter for the digital M9 to avoid image deterioration of the old lenses which are designed for film (without any glas behind the lens). I think these infrared cut filters, optical low passes and the coverglases on the sensor could be one reason for digital optimized lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-20 can be used without a filter, and it will NOT hot the mirror no matter what - nothing sticks out of the rear of this lens with an EOS adapter mounted. I never tried it with the filter - there's just no need in them.

Zenitar-16 must be used with the filter. If you use an adapter that's too thin, it *may* hit the mirror; does not happen with mine, but I've read mixed reports as well about this. Mir-20 is guaranteed to be safe though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks for the answers, as far as I know my adapters are of good quality.
The C/Y ones make 1.43mm and the only m42 I have is almost 1.4mm, maybe 1.38mm somthing like that. I will be carefull when trying the zenitar as I also read that mirror hits may be caused because of a bad focusing scale adjusment causing the rear element extend too far. Another cause of mirror hit would be filter not going all the way in beacause of a defective filter thread
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my zenitar just arrived, i tested it and seemed ok but then after one shot I got black viewfinder (mirror hit when going down), the only m42 adapter I have right now is a cheap one, I am waiting for the Big_is one to arrive, I will do farther test when it arrives
Lens new, arrived very soon and was coming from ucrania, 139€ with shipping which was the cheapest price I found for new one