Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Z Distagon 1.4/35 coming ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: New Z Distagon 1.4/35 coming ? Reply with quote

Well, I just completed my reply to Supahmario about the irreplaceability of the Contax Distagon 1.4/35:

http://forum.mflenses.com/your-favorite-fast-prime-35er-on-ff-t21459,start,15.html#184890

that I stumble upon this web page (Italian):

http://photo.nexthardware.com/2009/09/30/nuovo-zeiss-distagon-35mm-f14-zf-per-nikon-in-arrivo/

A user writes that in the Erwin Puts' review of the new Leica M9, the camera was put in comparison with a Nikon D3X equipped with a

Quote:
very new redesigned Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35 with floating element

So if this rumour is true, it can only mean that Zeiss is going to released a revamped 1.4/35 in a not distant future...
But will it be true or just fantasy?

BTW: the original 1.4/35 (Contax) already has the floating element...

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense.
Zeiss still has the design and pattents.
Cosina surely has the skill and technology.
If you consider the long term return they would be fools not to reintroduce it in now 3 mounts (4 if a Sony af version).
It's fun to speculate Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, if that is true, the prices for the old 1.4/35er will drop soon! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
so, if that is true, the prices for the old 1.4/35er will drop soon! Twisted Evil

I don't think so, if anybody bought on higher price and hold it. He will not change to newer ones, no reason to why. Perhaps some trader will sell for less, but not many I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
supahmario wrote:

I don't think so, if anybody bought on higher price and hold it. He will not change to newer ones, no reason to why. Perhaps some trader will sell for less, but not many I think.

attila, stop disillusioning me! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:
supahmario wrote:

attila, stop disillusioning me! Crying or Very sad

Try to look lens with defects, scratch for example it will go on lot lower price and in most situation not effect picture quality. I have some "expensive" lens in bad shape , big scratch, small scratches, one almost broken. I got them on low price and not trouble at all to use them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
supahmario wrote:

I agree with Attila.
More Contax copies available on used market? Yes, perhaps. There is a part of users who will like better to have a lens with canon mount and contacts.
Price drop? Not likely. Copies will sell for the same price they are sold for now. Perhaps even more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just jokin' around a bit. didn't really think that the prices for such quality products could fall just because the follower is coming out! we are talking about a distagon and not about a EOS 5D! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
i was just jokin' around a bit. didn't really think that the prices for such quality products could fall just because the follower is coming out! we are talking about a distagon and not about a EOS 5D! Laughing

Laughing YES.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version will be tagged really high price if it comes out. I will still stick with my contax as there will not be a big difference in image quality. And I like the looking of contax lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqbingbing wrote:
The new version will be tagged really high price if it comes out.

I wouldn't be so sure. Unlike other companies like Canon, the policy of Zeiss with both the Contarex and Contax SLR lenses has traditionally been to not make a big difference in price between slower and faster lenses.

One example is the 85mm lenses, where there was not a big price difference between the Sonnar 2.8/85 and the Planar 1.4/85. The difference was so small, in fact, that many users choosed to buy the Planar, which is the reason why today there are so many used 1.4/85 Contax Planar lenses. Because of the small price difference, the Sonnar 85 did come in and out of the Contax catalogue a few times.

The difference between the lenses was dictated by the use - the Planar being big and heavy, used in studio, and the Sonnar being small and lightweight, perfect for hiking and traveling.

qqbingbing wrote:
I will still stick with my contax as there will not be a big difference in image quality. And I like the looking of contax lenses.

I will stick with my Contax anyways Smile Even if the new version (if they ever make it - that might well has been a simple typo by Puts) will have better MTFs than the Contax, I think it will give a different look, so I will keep the Contax, and if I can afford it, buy the new one too.