Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 samples Reply with quote

I had this lens for a while but I did not use it much after discovering how soft it is wide open. I gave it another try these days on the Olympus E-M5 and rather than using it as a general purpose lens, I tried to use it as an effect lens. Here are a couple of results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8740469012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8740468916

I also went through my archives and pulled out a couple of more inspired shots taken with the Pentax K10D:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8739417979

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8739417959

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture is very nice.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
The last picture is very nice.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 2 pictures are very creative! Well done!
You mention that this lens is very soft wide open ... can you please share a picture?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 samples Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
I had this lens for a while but I did not use it much after discovering how soft it is wide open. I gave it another try these days on the Olympus E-M5 and rather than using it as a general purpose lens, I tried to use it as an effect lens.

I have discovered the same issue with a lens I recently bought for $40.

I'm stunned at how soft mine is. I only managed a few partially acceptable shots.

I'm presuming these test shots are 100% crops. I'd really like to compare the two.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:

You mention that this lens is very soft wide open ... can you please share a picture?

First two pictures are wide open - if you look at the focal plane, it is not very crisp, although it may not be that obvious at this small size.

Here is a 100% unprocessed crop from the focal plane of the first pic, just to the left and a bit above of the white goal place.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot. So how much do you usually have to stop this lens down to get acceptable sharpness?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Ok, thanks a lot. So how much do you usually have to stop this lens down to get acceptable sharpness?

Subscribing to the thread to see the answer Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what attracts me more is the lens design (as in appearence) Very Happy it is beautiful. so i guess if i own this lens it'll be more like a sentimental attachment.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 samples Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

I'm presuming these test shots are 100% crops. I'd really like to compare the two.

The samples are all full frame, scaled down. The lens focuses down to 30cm at the wide end.

diddy wrote:

On the K10D, which was 10MP, I was probably using something over f/4. But on the E-M5, it didn't strike me as sharpening to a point where I could call it sharp. It gets to be decent and the glow disappears, but it will probably still not match a modern kit lens. I need to play more with it.

ngaiki wrote:
what attracts me more is the lens design (as in appearence) Very Happy it is beautiful. so i guess if i own this lens it'll be more like a sentimental attachment.

Oh, I also like the build a lot. It is perhaps the only push-pull zoom that I find usable elsewhere than at the extremes of the focal range - the focusing ring tends to actually stay put while you focus, and it feels very nice to focus too. But when I purchased it, I had no fast zoom, so I was disappointed that it did not deliver wide open. Later I got the Tamron SP 17-50 and then I did not have much reason to use this - I tend to use prime lenses, not zooms. I'll keep it in mind for some scenarios where the softness might work as an advantage.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bad copy or one that's been opened. I have this lens and whilst it isn't tack sharp wide open, it's certainly acceptable. The only issue wide open is the odd bokeh at 35mm.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
You may have a bad copy or one that's been opened.

The thought crossed my mind initially, but my copy is in good condition and I did not see any signs of the screws being touched.

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have this lens and whilst it isn't tack sharp wide open, it's certainly acceptable.

I call a lens sharp if its performance is similar or better than that of a Helios 58/2.

Also, what camera did you use your copy on? Can you post some images with 100% unprocessed crops?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngaiki wrote:
so i guess if i own this lens it'll be more like a sentimental attachment.

You're defenseless against this Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fro showing these images!
I read from the special bokeh from this lens wideopen - I have to search and try my copy of this lens!