Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

praktica ltl 3 ok; pentacon blades sticking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: praktica ltl 3 ok; pentacon blades sticking Reply with quote

a roll of film i shot last week showed some strange streaks on a couple of prints, depth of field issues and under/over exposure issues. aha! i noted today the pentacon 1.8/50's aperture blades were sticking, then free, then sort of sticking, etc. advance has been kind of creaky lately, and i may be having shutter issues, too, going by latest pics.
good thing i got a minolta a5 recently, and a spotmatic body that arrived today. if i hadn't been trying the praktica's lenses on the spotmatic ...
and i am blessed that i accidentally won not one but two normal primes on e-bay last night ... Confused

Last edited by fish4570 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is a problem with the Pentacon. I bought 3 before I found one that worked correctly. It is an easy lens to work on though (which I only found out after I gave the others away).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Unfortunately, this is a problem with the Pentacon. I bought 3 before I found one that worked correctly. It is an easy lens to work on though (which I only found out after I gave the others away).

Seconded, the front screws off and allows access to the blades. I really like the Pentacon 50/1.8, but as Martin says, difficult to find a fully working one! Bit like Pancolars in that respect!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least it worked perfectly for many years, and it worked smashingly through my grandchild's first six months ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the body seems to be working just fine with the vivitar 135/f2.8. took some frosty shots this morning. stopping down properly. so maybe it is just the pentacon after all ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be fine when temperatures rise. But don't get rid of it as it is a good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished a roll of bw with the ltl and vivitar 135/2.8 ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to clean, really clean each lens should be used to buy.
And the Praktica is common to fail for lack of lubrication, is rustic, but it locks with ease.
greetings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, franco. i'll look for a tutorial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, not any tutorial, but it is very easy. Start by removing the back and you will have before it the first part of the mechanism of the diaphragm. Unfortunately I sold mine and I can not disarm and take pictures of the process.
Let me see if I find something and remember, no oil in the mechanism of the diaphragm.
Good Lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

further examination shows the problem to be the stop-down button. if touched a certain way, it can hold the blades closed or open. a little tap and all is well. still, the 3enbs is not to be trusted - for now. the stop-down button on the lens is right beside the shutter button ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
further examination shows the problem to be the stop-down button. if touched a certain way, it can hold the blades closed or open. a little tap and all is well. still, the 3enbs is not to be trusted - for now. the stop-down button on the lens is right beside the shutter button ...
Try cleaning, so you just take the mount and have the mechanism in sight. The same thing happened to me. It's easy to put it back together must be closed in the diaphragm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franco, the pentacon is, indeed, easy to take apart. but i gave up after removing the first layer, then dropping the aperture detent ball three times. i lost it on the third one. the next screws were way too small for my trembling fingers to handle. i did clean the stopdown button and its shaft. that did not fix the problem. i'll get one of my sons to take it down the next layer to the aperture blades ...