Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar macro for Nikon recommendation please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Vivitar macro for Nikon recommendation please Reply with quote

I have just purchased the Close Focus Vivitar 28mm lens (Komine) for my Nikon D90 and wondered which macro anyone might recommend. I was not having good luck with the Nikkor autofocus micros so though I'd give a couple of manual lenses a try. (Couldn't do any worse.)

I'd like the Vivitar so-called "bokina" 90mm macro, but fear it might be a bit pricey for a newbie like me. So what is my next best bet to try?

Thank you for your time and advice. I figure if these lenses aren't right for me I can always sell them again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get your hands on a Viv. Series 1 105mm macro.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any Nikkor macro lens, shorter focal lengths are cheaper image quality is great. In general all macro lens provide excellent quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 55/3.5 and 55/2.8 are dirt cheap due manufacturing numbers in hundreds of thousands. I have seen them go for 30-60 USD on eBay.

This forum has many members who can testify that these classic lens designs rival and even outperform many newer AF designs.

I personally ran an Ai-converted Nikkor 55/3.5 vs a Nikkor 60/2.8G AF-S and noticed that the difference in performance is only noticeable when used wide open. Stopped down to f/5.6 only real difference was in how color was rendered: older lens was more neutral and newer gave warmer tones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/macro/

Top macros from my experience, certainly so many others available what you not find here.I say again any dedicated macro lens can be very sharp good one , no matter who made it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll +1 the Micro Nikkor 55 idea. They can be had cheap, especially as many look somewhat beat up on the outside... but inside where it counts are just fine.

(Seems Nikonians showed their Nikon-macho by refusing to coddle their gear... often letting two cameras bang on each other... and it may be a good sign that a lens is banged, as it means it was used, and therefore perhaps a good sample. In theory. At any rate, this makes for low prices.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for some wonderful advice. I will be looking out for those Nikkor 55mm macros. The photos in Attila''s link were very impressive.

Funny enough, I used to take wonderful photos with an inexpensive little macro lens I used with my ancient Canon A-1. It has been frustrating for me to see the lackluster results with the new AF micro lenses. (Older and shakier than I once was, I surmised.) But I certainly feel encouraged now!

Last edited by Nikongal on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikongal wrote:
Thank you all for some wonderful advice. I will be looking out for those Nikkor 55mm macros. The photos in Attila''s link were very impressive.

Funny enough, I used to take wonderful photos with an inexpensive little macro lens I used with my ancient Canon A-1. It has been frustrating for me to see the lackluster results with the new AF micro lenses. (Older and shakier than I once was, I surmised.) But I certainly feel encouraged now!

Never mind many people here did start to look legacy lenses after first disappointing quality/price ratio of AF lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Nikkor 55/3.5, really great lens available for cheap (i use one on my K10D) ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikongal wrote:
Funny enough, I used to take wonderful photos with an inexpensive little macro lens I used with my ancient Canon A-1. It has been frustrating for me to see the lackluster results with the new AF micro lenses.

The AF lenses are optically very good but especially the Nikkor 60/2.8D AF has a focus throw that is awkward for manual focus work. The 60/2.8G AF-S has a very good focus throw and focusing feel but costs 5 to 10 times more than the 55/2.8 or 55/3.5 available second hand.

This page includes Micro-Nikkor information (scroll down) from one of the most respected Nikkor connoisseurs today, Bjorn Rorslett: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget a good tripod. I too can endorse the 55/3.5 micro, but do try to get the dedicated tube to go to 1:1. The two 55's are very very good.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my 2 cents in here....What is it that yopu want to capture?...Flowers & other static subjects?....Then the 55-60mm range is great...Want to shoot insects & other small mobile creatures?...Better get a 90mm or longer macro lens as they allow more room between you & your subject matter (less likely to run or fly away).... Most of the better macros will be pricey & in demand on the auction site as many people know what they are looking for....I have several macro lenses that go to 1:2 or 1:1...I have a 55mm F2.8 Micro Nikkor, a 90mm F2.8 Komine made Vivitar macro, a 105mm F2.8 Lester A Dine (made by Kino aka Kiron & is the same lens as the Vivitar Series One 105mm macro) & lastly a 135mm F2.8 Komine made Vivitar close focus (1:2)... Not to mention bellows, reversing rings tubes macro dual diopter lenses, etc...As Attila stated before, most true macro lenses will give you good results as long as your technique is good. Tripods (a good sturdy one) is great for static subjects but won't cut the mustard with mobile ones. Best to get a ring light or other lighting solution there...My go to macro lens is the Dine 105 coupled with a flash or my ring light...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I mostly want to do flower/plant shots. I am a garden writer who needs good, crisp photos for my articles and blog. If I catch the occasional butterfly or praying mantis, so much the better.

My 18-105 VR has generally been fine for my purposes, but I would like the flexibility to do some close-up photos. What are your thoughts now that I have narrowed down my needs?

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those static subjects, then get a Micro Nikkor 55mm F3.5 or F2.8 versions...You might find a Vivitar 55mm macro (Komine made) that would work well for you also...As another poster mentioned, get tubes that will take you down past 1:2 that the lens will go to on it's own for those times you want to get closer...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flowers, 1:2 is probably close enough for most shots, so that 1:1 goal may be an unnecessary one (IMO & IMExperience of course)... though adding the extension tube to a 55 will get you there.

The Tamron Adaptall 90 is another good flower lens - actually the CF 35-80 SP 2.8-3.8 is pretty damn good too. But with these, unless you happen to get the right adapter with the lens, you're paying more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking a detail shot of a euphorbia flower at less than 1:1 - won't work.
EG

There are many flowers which are basically so small you have to go much larger to get a real showing. IMHO Smile Smile The 55/3.5 with additional tube is the way to go - you then have the easy option of 1:2 or 1:1 without any sacrifice of IQ. You do need a bit more light though

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am scouting around for the 55mm 3.5 now. Some of them are quite pricey so will keep looking till I find a good bargain. I will also look for a couple of the other lenses you all so kindly recommended. I don't mind trying a couple till I discover the one I like best.

I'll report back with some photos! In the meantime, do I need to get a light meter for the manual settings? I have gotten spoiled with automatic metering and have forgotten just about everything from the old Canon A-1 days.

Thank you again everyone, for your time and help!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great Vivitar 28/2.8 close focus too, use: Kiron 105/2.8, Nikon 55/2.8 and Sigma 50/2.8 EX. Some info at http://joergvetter.oyla.de/cgi-bin/hpm_homepage.cgi BR Atomino

Last edited by atominoMF on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With digital "chimping" is quite simple - take the shot and then check the histogram. Adjust aperture / speed based on the left or right extremes of the histogram. And delete the wrong exposure.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a fair amount to pay for the Nikon 55mm 3.5? I am looking at several and there seems to be quite a difference in the asking prices.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55mm Micro F3,5 is a great recommendation, I will never give mine away.

A fair price is around 80€, I suppose. Last year they were still a bit cheaper, but now the word has obviously spread.

Another idea (with possible synergies in other aspects) is the AF-Nikkor 28-105mm F3,5-4,5D. Between 50 and 105mm, it has a remarkable Macro function, which goes up to 1:2, and this with a wonderful image quality and very nice out-of-focus-rendering. The combination of macro and zoom sometimes comes in quite handy, and as an allround lens, you have your macro with you all the time.

Regards,
Benedikt