Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Topcor 35/2.8 Reply with quote

Following a successful conversion of the 100/2.8 Topcor to M42, I did the same thing to the 35/2.8. Frankly, I think these topcor lenses are excellent and the 35/2.8 is at least as good as my Flek!

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. i missed your other post--who the heck is topcor? Smile nice composition on 1 and great sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment

Topcon made SLR's and accompanying lenses back in the 60's-70's. They were great innovators (first TTL metering) and their cameras were built like trucks. They were best known after a while for the 58/1.4 standard lens, which is made today (I believe) under license by Cosina. The originals go on fleabay for $300! It is deadly sharp.
The mount was a derivative of Exakta (another great innovator company). This makes them awkward to adapt, but there is a guy in China who is offering replacement M42 mounts. This is a reversible adaptation. The most common lenses from the range are all excellent - 35/2.8, 100/2.8, and 135/3.5. Any one of them can be found for well under $100. The mod costs $55 and about 10 minutes if the screws co-operate.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how interesting! thanks so much--you use these lenses very well indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truly impressive #1, you can feel the air!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i suppose it's time to go searchine for the seller offering the replacement M42 mounts Wink ...

Thanks for sharing the samples.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray, maybe my fav lens. Topcor RE AUTO 35/2.8.
I love the 3d on #1.

I found at minimum focus distance, and right background, this lens produce most interesting and pleasant of swirl.
[Wide open of course].
Min focus is really short! And colors are fantastic. A great addition for the flower shooter, esp. when 100 takumar and
50 volna are not wide enough!
I find 3d awesome at f-2.8-5.6's
I still relatively new to this lens, but so far, perhaps, my fav at 35mm FL.. for close-up and normal shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Bruce. When I have some decent light to try it out (even #2 was in a mist) I shall be able to judge better, But so far so good

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, #1 is awesome, like 3D generated. I think i have few TOPCORs somewhere in the back...time to bring them to light Smile .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey patrick, i found this topcon converter on ebay-would eliminate the need for mount conversion i think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Exakta-Topcon-Lens-To-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-adapter-450D_W0QQitemZ270504081536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efb4cb880#ht_3042wt_988

hope its useful!
tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately these adapters do not work very well - they don't lock the mount in properly. Also I have found they do not usually allow infinity focusing. I tried it and that's why I finished up doing the mount conversion. The great thing about the conversion is that it is completely reversible - nothing is destroyed or changed.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, ok, i didnt realize you had tried that route already.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seems to be a great lens. Congratulations !!

Thanks for sharing.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another means to convert Exakta mount to M42 is much less expensive. For $5.80 USD you can purchase a 42mm-39mm step-down ring - Click here to see on Ebay.

The greatest diameter of the base of the Exakta bayonet is 38mm. Remove the stop pin from the Exakta flange, slide the M39-M42 ring down and glue it in place. I use Gorilla Glue which expands and fills the small gap nicely. Voila! An M42 lens. It is reversible by heating the glue or using a solvent to remove it.

An example:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topcor mount has a small lever that controls the aperture stop down just alongside where you glued the adapter - how did you deal with that?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick,

Ah, I see the issue. The Exakta mount doesn't have that, so I didn't need to address it. I suppose I would remove the mount, remove and bag the lever, spring assembly, and surrounding ring; and then replace the mount and proceed as before with the glue. A bit more labor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think this will fix my mirror and 5dmkII issue, as my mirror hangs up on the rear of the lens. With the m42 conversion of patrickh's the extension of the Topcor lens into the camera's body is lessened. Will this m39/m42 ring help with other exakta mount lens with the 5DmkII mirror?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I don't know. I use a Nikon D40 which I converted to handle M42 mounts. I have eight Exakta lenses converted with the rings and I get infinity on all, plus one M42 lens and one T-mount > M42 with which I also get infinity (before the stop). No mirror strike on these despite coming almost 2mm closer than Nikon specs.

This doesn't say anything, though about the EOS mirror. If one Exakta is too long, I would imagine they all are. I would first measure the flange to mirror depth and then hie myself to a hardware store for some thin ring gaskets of the appropriate size and different thicknesses. Slide the gaskets on until you don't need to worry about mirror strike, then crazy-glue them together but not to the lens. Whenever you want to use an Exakta lens, slide the custom gasket onto the lens before assembly. A $1.00 solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid attention to what you said, and found this. Topcor RE Auto 35mm f2'8

Mount Topcon, for U$S 50.- It is equal to that you have?

Last edited by francotirador on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see from this single view of this lens, it certainly looks to be the right one, the silver version as it comes in black as well. Mine is silver too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Hi Patrick Reply with quote

I have offered here for a 35/2.8 RE and want to know if your photos are sharpening? ES by whether or not a very sharp lens.
Greetings,
I decided on your photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I only used standard sharpening, nothing extra. This lens is sharp, as is the 100/2.8 and the 135/3.5. There is no colour adjustment or other enhancement. The host site (smugmug) uses some form of sharpening algorithm to compensate for downsizing when a smaller version than full size is used, I believe

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
No, I only used standard sharpening, nothing extra. This lens is sharp, as is the 100/2.8 and the 135/3.5. There is no colour adjustment or other enhancement. The host site (smugmug) uses some form of sharpening algorithm to compensate for downsizing when a smaller version than full size is used, I believe

patrickh
Many Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the vat to buy topcor that has damaged the coating on the first elements.
The reflection on the surface appears very diffuse. I think they kept it with moisture.
It is a pity, I try to buy the Flektogon.