Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Kodak 400 TMax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: New Kodak 400 TMax Reply with quote

Kodak has updated the 400 TMax film

The new film, has a different looks of the box
(see http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/it/professional/products/films/bw/bwFilmQAs.pdf - sorry Italian PDF)

but mostly, it requires different developing times.
The new developing times for Kodak developers are available here:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4043/f4043.pdf

Now the difficult part will be to gather information for the non-Kodak developers.

Reportedly, the new Tmax 400 developed using old developing times causes overexposure.

On one side the good news is that Kodak evidently still cares about the B&W films - which means the sales must still be good.
On the other side, I really liked the old Tmax 400 for it could be pushed to 1600 without noticeable loss of detail and contrast.

I have bought a pack of 5 new Tmax400 rolls in 120 format. I will report my impressions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio. That's good to know. It's been a while since I last shot TMX, I'd have gone blindly with old times.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear how well this performs against the old version in terms of pushing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'd be interested to hear how well this performs against the old version in terms of pushing.

I surely plan to push it, that is my main use for the 400Tmax.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try asking about this over at the APUG forum. Go to their B&W sub-forum and search or post questions. Lots of folks there who still use B&W a lot.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't shoot film myself, partly because of the cost and partly because I'm simply not good enough to make the most of so little shots, the safety of digital is more to my liking Laughing

I did a photography course in college and I used film there, while I don't use it now I can definitely see the appeal both in using it and in the unique results it gives.

It certainly makes me happy to know that companies are still supporting the format.

They have some Kodak colour plus at the local pound store, not the greatest film but the price is tempting, I'm sure I have a working praktica slr laying around somewhere too...... shame it isn't B&W film.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. I'm still using the old one since I can get it cheap.

have they updated the TMAX 100 aswell?

Cool that Kodak keeps actively supporting the film photography market Smile