Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Query re: a couple of odd rokkors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Query re: a couple of odd rokkors Reply with quote

Hi, First time poster, frequent lurker.

I'm looking at a couple Rokkors I haven't been able to find much info about. I was hoping someone here might know something about them.

1. a MD 50-135mm constant f3.5. The only thing I can find anywhere about this one is comments on it's rarity and that it's sharp and constrasty, with no CA.

2. a MD 70-210 constant f4. Supposedly this was the MD version of the beercan, Leica designed. Other than that not much at all.

Anyone have experience with either of these?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Query re: a couple of odd rokkors Reply with quote

Welcome!

I haven't got or used either of these two lenses, unfortunately.

benjimouse wrote:

1. a MD 50-135mm constant f3.5. The only thing I can find anywhere about this one is comments on it's rarity and that it's sharp and contrasty, with no CA.

This lens is a 12 elements / 10 groups design, weighs 480g, has a 55mm filter size and a 1.5m minimum focus distance. This mfd may be reasonable for a 135mm lens, but it is rather long for a 50mm lens.

benjimouse wrote:

2. a MD 70-210 constant f4. Supposedly this was the MD version of the beercan, Leica designed.

Leica didn't design this lens, Minolta did. Minolta built a Leica R version of this lens, the Leica Vario-Elmar-R 70-210mm f/4.

The only Leitz lens sold as Minolta I know of is the 90mm f/4 M-Rokkor (or Elmar). Other lenses Leitz produced for Minolta were the Photar 12.5/1.9, 25/2.5 and the Telyt-S 800/6.3, but they were still badged Leitz AFAIK.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll probably end up just grabbing the 50-135 because I'm guessing it would be more practical on a m43 2x crop. The mfd shouldn't a problem, I've got normal 50s and macro 50s coming out my ears :>

Thanks dickb.