Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian optics - advice needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Russian optics - advice needed Reply with quote

Since joining this forum and reading through the threads I've become increasingly interested in Russian optics and how good a lot of people say they are. As they are relatively cheap I'd like to buy a few to use on my Spotmatics but don't know where to start. Could someone maybe advise on a few to start with? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you deffo need a Helios 44 of some sort! These are pretty easy to come by and can be had from anything between £5.00 - £15.00 on ebay. EDIT - forgot you already have this one Laughing

Next perhaps a Jupiter 9 85/2 for about £60?

Then I reckon a chrome 135/4 Jupiter 11 is in order, it's a good looking lens alright! These can be had for £30.00 - £50.00. Or if you are a bit better off, get a TAIR 11A Smile

Finally, for something wider, how about a Mir 1?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Well you deffo need a Helios 44 of some sort! These are pretty easy to come by and can be had from anything between £5.00 - £15.00 on ebay. EDIT - forgot you already have this one Laughing

Next perhaps a Jupiter 9 85/2 for about £60?

Then I reckon a chrome 135/4 Jupiter 11 is in order, it's a good looking lens alright! These can be had for £30.00 - £50.00. Or if you are a bit better off, get a TAIR 11A Smile

Finally, for something wider, how about a Mir 1?

Hi Shrek
The Helios 44 is the only Russian optic I have but I never used it as I mistakenly assumed because it was Russian it was optically poor. A lot of you guys have put me right on that score! What focal length is the Mir 1? Is it the same as the Mir 1B?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 37mm Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mir 1 is 2.8/37mm a Flektogon copy, the Mir-1 is m39 -1B is m42. I would also recommend the Jupiter 37A 3.5/135, a sonnar copy, as well as the fine choices from Shrek, and the Mir 24 2/35 its dearer than a Mir-1 but a very sharp and fast wide lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mir 1 is actually M42 Smile Whether it's an early MIR 1B, and thus labelled differently (like the Helios 44 nothing), I'm not sure...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds ok to me there are m42 Helios 44 as well, as both mounts were in production at the same time. The 44-2 and -1B designations were brought in to make it easier to distinguish one from another apparently so I would not be surprised if there were a few m42 Mir-1's knocking about- mine is chrome and m39 but someone removed the serial number for whatever reason. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i absolutely echo the jupiter 9--its a perfect focal length on full frame, and close to a 135mm on a dslr, and its fast and just a great portrait lens. its a lens, like the helios, that you can use virtually any time. it would be my number 1 next choice.

also heartily agree on ANY mir: you can find all in m42. i have the 35mm/2.0 and its one of my favorites; and ive seen just wonderful shots on this forum with the less expensive 37mm.

might i also suggest the incredibly cheap, but very atmospheric industar pancake 50mm/3.5--its so small and yet so surprisingly contrasty and sharp--i have a recent thread on it with some photos. i got mine for less than $15usd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
.... so I would not be surprised if there were a few m42 Mir-1's knocking about- mine is chrome and m39 ...

I've had two copies of the Mir 1 which were black and M42. I'm not sure about the "B" in the Mir 1B. Apparently (Zenit archive) the Zenit B was named in honour of the KMZ director "Voronin" (remember Cyrillic "B" ~ Roman "V"). I wonder if the Mir 1B was also named after Voronin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

...also heartily agree on ANY mir: you can find all in m42. ...

The name "MIR" was applied to a variety of lenses, not just those for M42 SLRs. An example is the MIR 38 which is available in Pentacon 6 and Kiev 88 mounts. Some cine lenses also carried the name.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Yes Mir 1 is 2.8/37mm a Flektogon copy

Interesting ... which sources do you rely on?
Is it an exact copy of the Flektogon or does it rely on the optical design ... like Distagon or similar "retrofocus" lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Jupiter 21 4/200!

The Jupiter 37 is a great 135 mm lens very sharp wide open with round bokeh also stopped down.

My version of the mir 1 is sharp only from f8 on, maybe a lemon.

Helios 58mm generally is a great lens, the different versions have a different character regarding number of aperture blades an coating. Handling is also different, there are preset, automatic and non automatic versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an Industar 61L/Z (like the one I recently outbidded Shrek on).

It doesn't suffer the flare like the smaller Industar does and is a fraction faster (and bigger).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mflex
Quote:
Interesting ... which sources do you rely on?
Is it an exact copy of the Flektogon or does it rely on the optical design ... like Distagon or similar "retrofocus" lenses?

Can't remember where I saw or read that but I think it is more a use of the same design rather than a straight copy of the Flektogon- actually it does say the same here-http://www.mflenses.com/mir-1b-37mm-f28-m42-lens-review.html, but I have seen it elsewhere too. I suppose it is similar to the way a Helios 44 is a copy but not exactly the same as a Biotar, as both it and the Mir were copied by the soviets after gaining the technology from Germany after WW2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that the Mir 1 lacks the close focus of the Flektogon however.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-24 is awesome lens iqwise. But its only russian lens I have that is not heavy and metal, looks like new nikon lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I seem to remember that the Mir 1 lacks the close focus of the Flektogon however.

Yes, it is very useful. I rarely use my Flek now. It's a good lens but not worth the inflated prices that they seem to go for. I think the Mir would be much better value for money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have understood is that the Mir-1 was originally made in the M39 mount for Zenit cameras, but later made, along the Kiev-10 mount, in also the M42 mount, both in silver/"white" and black finish.

The claim about the Mir-1 being a soviet copy of the Flektogon seems to hold some water, but I presume it was rather a redesigned implementation of the original Flektogon (Soviet source)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Yes, it is very useful. I rarely use my Flek now. It's a good lens but not worth the inflated prices that they seem to go for. I think the Mir would be much better value for money.

yeah, ive never been really impressed by what ive seen from the flek, except i must say for the macro capability, which can be stunning. overall i applaud the mir value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
How about an Industar 61L/Z (like the one I recently outbidded Shrek on).

It doesn't suffer the flare like the smaller Industar does and is a fraction faster (and bigger).

+1

A truly wonderful lens with really great close-up capabilities - definitely worth considering...