Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't win 'em all
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Can't win 'em all Reply with quote

A Selfix 220 I picked up a while back for a few quid turns out to be a bit of a dud, even though it all works. At least the light leak adds an aura of antique authenticity:

I think I'll be flogging this one on to a souvenir shop in this very (posh) souq.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there you go ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a matter of adjusting infinity, though perhaps the lens won't yield all that much even so

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to focus OK but there is a persistent light leak and something is also scratching the film - possibly just the 6x4.5 film gate flaps, in which case it might do better in 6x6 mode. Anyway, with a bit of haggling I might be able to get $100 for it, which would be a nice profit (and it would please my wife to see a few of these go out of the door).

This is the best it managed - and look at the strange vertical scratches. I've never seen anything like that before.

The light leak may be to do with the strangely positioned frame window even though it was shut most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange... and $100 for the camera is high way robbery Laughing so you'll do well Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that's robbery, you should see the trashed folders they are selling for QR880 (standard price, but for you my friend, just QR800) which is $240. I'm talking about things like a Nettar 517 with fungus in the lens, jammed shutter and rust all over the body, torn covering etc.

That will cost you more than $200 in Doha.

Which is why I should be able to get $100 for one that works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering ... could the back plate be over-tensioning the film so that each time I turn it the wheel I stretch it over the rollers? Would that give vertical strain cracks?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good theory. I'm dragging a roll of 120 with the spindle snipped through a Duaflex right now, so the whole thing is under a lot of tension. I'll see what happens.

The paper backing however would seem to take most of the strain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the aged look...maybe there is a market to sell aged photos of the
area to tourists??Fully declared off course they are replicas Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I like the aged look...maybe there is a market to sell aged photos of the
area to tourists??Fully declared off course they are replicas Very Happy

I confess, that had occured to me. There is a shop selling postcard prints from old negs actually in that souq. Maybe there would be a market for similarly styled prints of the modern bazaar. And, if you think about it, this isn't actually a replica, it is a genuine photo of life today - it just happens to have been taken with inferior equipment that gives it a retro look.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's something that is possible....how do they look printed on paper,just assuming there is a difference from viewing them on a screen? Try a portrait and see how it turns out?
Remember people pay money to get this look Laughing you have the genuine article.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I'm suspecting - maybe all are true ?

a. Film flatness
b. More than one light leak, maybe in the bellows ?
c. Badly needs a hood
d. Haze somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is this the camera?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Paul is this the camera?

Click here to see on Ebay

No, that's much posher than mine. You can see one just like it here:

http://www.ozcamera.com/photo%203/386.jpg