Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disposable film camera photo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Disposable film camera photo Reply with quote

Thought these were ok for one of those throw away cameras...My son took this when he was about 5....explains the harbour bridge rail that is in shot... Laughing I was doing a clean out and found this camera buried in a box ...the rest were not so good.Enjoy the sunshine in it...:)It was a Fuji.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disposable camera , certainly make disposable images too Laughing I used one times in underwater edition , because I didn't have under water camera. I think i did throw out without development Embarassed

Such a beautiful place I hope you did make photos from there with other cameras too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Disposable camera , certainly make disposable images too Laughing

My daughter used to make a habit of buying those darn things, and I often asked her "Why?" But then she showed me some photos she took with one, and I was surprised they came out as good as they did.

Anyway, your response prompted me to go vist flickr.com and search for groups about disposable cameras. I found a lot. There was a fair mix of bad, just okay, and good photos that people had uploaded.

I also found this one group, that I thought was quite intriguing:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1107768@N24/

It reminds me a little of the "Pass the Rangefinder" project over at the Rangefinder Forum, which I participated in, where a simple rf camera was sent from one member to the next, literally all over the world. We all shot at least one roll of film with it, uploaded a sample of our images, and sent it to the next person on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say this was on a school excursion into Sydney the reason why I gave him the disposable camera and not mine Very Happy My thinking was to encourage them into the world of photography instead of saying no you can't do it "here take this and have fun" I got about 4 decent shots out of it.
My goal is to get them a digital P&S plus later on when older give them one of the Ricohs I have bought of ebay if they want it.......might not be any film by then but at least they will enjoy what I have enjoyed with cameras.
Capturing history...like in Rolfs post about his grandparents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A digital P&S way to go for kids or their cell phone , disposable camera was good idea as an emergency solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or their cell phone

This may be the better way as the lens on these phones are really amazing...my son's Nokia has a panorama feature that is wow.....but as you know Attila nothing beats a real camera.. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these "disposable" cameras first came out they used standard 35mm cassettes pre-wound into the take-up spool, so that when the film was finished, the camera could be opened up at the minilab, film extracted and then put through the normal machine processing system. The camera carcasses were then returned to the Kodak (or Fuji, etc) for reload and then sold again.

I still have carcasses from the early days of these cameras and I reload them; Camera and Darkroom magazine carried an article on reloading them and I sure did.

Later on, the manufacturers were trying to make some modifications to both cameras and cassettes as attempts to stop reloaders. For instance the Fuji panoramic version with 25mm lens used standard cassettes, but the protruding end of the film spool has gears cut into the very end which mesh with matching ones on the film wind drive, thus preventing regular cassettes to be inserted. My solution was to modify the film wind drive and added a shaft with a pronged end, acting as a normal "dog clutch" drive allowing me to use regular cassettes. Cool

Reloaders like me are not a problem because we are few and far between, there were (and probably still are) large scale reloaders who picked up carcasses, put in new films, and then repackaged as "generic brands", so they implemented these measures, including smaller cassettes (Konica) as ways to beat them.

The most desirable one would be Konica's panorama version with 17mm lenses, there is (or was) a company who takes these lenses and have them remounted in Leica mount, and charges heaps for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are kidding.....
Quote:
a company who takes these lenses and have them remounted in Leica mount, and charges heaps for them.