Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC W.Rokkor NL 21mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: MC W.Rokkor NL 21mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Thanks to kind sunshine, I have gotten a Rokkor 21mm for 100$ from the USA. Unfortunately its condition was not the best, (front barrel was
loose, aperture was not working correctly), but I was able to fix these
problems. One problem which still exists, is that it seems it can't focus
correctly to infinity but I think that I can also fix this.

So until I have some time to take some pictures with my X500, I did
a small home test using the Yashica ML 21mm 3.5 and the Rokkors,
21mm and 20mm, both at 2.8. Both are wide open. I think that the Rokkor is not focusing correctly though. Photos from my cropx2 Olympus,
from raw, no sharpening, contrast, etc, just conversion, and scaling.
Rokkor 21mm first, Yashica 21mm second, Rokkor 20mm last

Rokkor 21mm 2.8

Yashica ML 21mm 3.5

Rokkor 20mm 2.8

100% crop

Rokkor 21mm 2.8

Yashica ML 21mm 3.5

Rokkor 20mm 2.8

What do you think?

Last edited by PapadakosPanagiotis on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 3.5/21 Olympus!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
get a 3.5/21 Olympus!!

Hmmm.... I don't think this is an answer!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well
The Rokkors both have better contrast and seem sharper.
The 20mm is it!
I did not know you have the 20mm rokkor.
Can you show some sample from it used in the sunshine?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20 rokkor.

For me, the flekt 4/20. Unsharp? Not much, but the sharpness isn't all. Quality image is important too. Wink

Nice pics. Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Well
The Rokkors both have better contrast and seem sharper.
The 20mm is it!
I did not know you have the 20mm rokkor.
Can you show some sample from it used in the sunshine?

Some samples from the Olympus are loaded in http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/PapadakosPanagiotis/Minolta_Rokkors/MDWRokkorX20mm_f28/
I still need to scan some slides I have with the 20mm, so I will load more samples in the future. By the way the 20mm is much sharper, but it probably has worse distortions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way the 20mm is much sharper, but it probably has worse distortions.

Oh I see
So is it a case like with the two fleks when thinking about the two Rokkors?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Quote:
By the way the 20mm is much sharper, but it probably has worse distortions.

Oh I see
So is it a case like with the two fleks when thinking about the two Rokkors?

Well I have no flek in my collection, so I can say anything. The nice thing
about the 20mm rokkor, except sharpness is that it is a pretty small beast....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I should explain my question Embarassed

Many find the Flek 4/20 to be free from distortion, a little bit less sharp and lower contrast. A very good architecture lens.

The Flek on the other hand2.8/20 is sharper with better contrast and flare control (MC) but not as good in distortion control. More a nature and landscape lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Many find the Flek 4/20 to be free from distortion, a little bit less sharp and lower contrast. A very good architecture lens.

The Flek on the other hand2.8/20 is sharper with better contrast and flare control (MC) but not as good in distortion control. More a nature and landscape lens.

Probably yes. Although I have to compare full frame photos from both.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one confuses my eyes Confused

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/PapadakosPanagiotis/Minolta_Rokkors/MDWRokkorX20mm_f28/rokkor_20mm_f28_III.jpg.html

It looks distorted in a strange way but is actually the brick work right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

I'm one of your "many" Very Happy

The 4/20 Flek is free distortion. I propose don't be so structured (for me too). I see a lot of landscapes with the F/4 and they are magnificents.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/PapadakosPanagiotis/Minolta_Rokkors/MDWRokkorX20mm_f28/rokkor_20mm_f28_III.jpg.html

I stared at this for a while. I don't think it's the structure, the distortion is too 'consistent' on both half of the picture. It has to be the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:

I stared at this for a while. I don't think it's the structure, the distortion is too 'consistent' on both half of the picture. It has to be the lens.

I agree. For this reason I put the distortion in the upper place of the virtues that the superwide lens must have. CZJ 4/20 is perhaps the best in this question.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know guys. Confused
If you look at the door frame and the door you see no distortion.
Also the outer door jam that meets the brick is not as wide at the top as the bottom.
I hope Panagiotis can help us understand. It is a funny illusion Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the edges of the banners/flags either side of the doorway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I don't know guys. Confused
If you look at the door frame and the door you see no distortion.
Also the outer door jam that meets the brick is not as wide at the top as the bottom.
I hope Panagiotis can help us understand. It is a funny illusion Laughing

Well, it is the lens. This is a picture that also make me feel strange! But I think there is an explanation. The distortion is not consistent, and the reason is that simply the lens was not looking the door at 90 degrees but a bit more, because the road was going upwards and also the door was on the top of 4 stairs. Keep in mind also that the door was not so far away. If you look at the other samples you can see that they handle distortions
much better. Last but not least just take also into consideration that this
samples are on a cropx2 camera which makes distortions more evident!

By the way I have 2 copies of the 20mm and I can let one go. The lens has some cleaning marks (like small scratches) at the front and a coating mark at the back, but I have not found any evidence that they appear in the images (The samples in the gallery are from this lens).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way the Flek 20mm f4 in the gallery also show some distortion
and also the left side seems a bit problematic like in
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/flektogon/flektogon_20mm_f4/czj_flektogon_20mm_f4-23.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Probably the adaptor or lens is problematic? Anyone knows on which camera these were taken? Attilas E-1?

Again with the 20mm f2.8 in this on the right side http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/flektogon/carl_zeiss_jena_flektogon_20mm_f2_8_MC_M42/czj_flektogon_20mm_f2_8_mc-01.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis wrote:
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/flektogon/flektogon_20mm_f4/czj_flektogon_20mm_f4-23.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Probably the adaptor or lens is problematic? Anyone knows on which camera these were taken? Attilas E-1?

It's seems to me that is the imposibility of positioning the camera at 90 ° to the floor. The objets of pics were very great height. To pics them probably were necessary to incline the cam.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

It's seems to me that is the imposibility of positioning the camera at 90 ° to the floor. The objets of pics were very great height. To pics them probably were necessary to incline the cam.

Rino.

I don't think so. Something is wrong probably with the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay more attention! Yes, you're probably right. Don't be missaligned element because the right side is OK.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are using with the rokkors? If digital, what adapter? I don't have experiance with it yet, but from conversations with others and the little info on the web, this lense should be a steller performer. I am not much of a wide shooter, but I have my mind set to convert at least 1 rokkor of each focal legnth to EOS. Ultra wides are last on the list. So far I have done:
58 1.2
85 1.7
100 2.5
200 3.5

Currently working on the 50 1.7 and have the following en route
24 2.8
50 1.4
135 2.8

after these will either be the 35 1.8 or 2.8 or the 28 2.0

all of these are mc rokkor-x with the rokkor-x in yellow.

Call me crazy, but I like what I see all these lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootalew wrote:
What camera are using with the rokkors? If digital, what adapter? I don't have experiance with it yet, but from conversations with others and the little info on the web, this lense should be a steller performer. I am not much of a wide shooter, but I have my mind set to convert at least 1 rokkor of each focal legnth to EOS. Ultra wides are last on the list. So far I have done:
58 1.2
85 1.7
100 2.5
200 3.5

Currently working on the 50 1.7 and have the following en route
24 2.8
50 1.4
135 2.8

after these will either be the 35 1.8 or 2.8 or the 28 2.0

all of these are mc rokkor-x with the rokkor-x in yellow.

Call me crazy, but I like what I see all these lenses.

I use an Olympus E-510, which is the only digital camera that can
use a simple adapter with no lens for the rokkors. 35mm 1.8 is a
very nice lens...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis wrote:

Again with the 20mm f2.8 in this on the right side http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/flektogon/carl_zeiss_jena_flektogon_20mm_f2_8_MC_M42/czj_flektogon_20mm_f2_8_mc-01.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

On both of these, my best guess is misalignment caused by the adapter or some loose/wrongly aligned glass. Having seen how knowledgeable Attila is with his lens. I am more inclined to say it's the adapter. But I can be completely wrong Confused

I should check my adapter to see if similar probles exist with my Flek 4/20.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis's original post mentioned a 'loose barrel'. I just purchased a 21mm MC Rokkor-NL 1:2.8 and may have the same issue. Until reading this post I assumed this looseness was normal and part of the 'floating element' thing. How do I tighten this?