Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 200 2.8 mount on monopod ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Sonnar 200 2.8 mount on monopod ? Reply with quote

Hello ,
i m planning to visit the local zoo and i want to use the lense using a monopod since i will be moving arround and a tripod wont be convinient .
Since it s a big piece of glass i m thinking that it might be better ( user friendly ) to use a colar on the lense , it would make focusing and changing the diafragm quite easier .
Is this possible ? Is there a zeiss colar or a universal type ?
What do you think ? These are just thoughts since i have never used a monopod before .

Thanks a lot ,

Panos .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Panos.

I only can tell you that the monopod technic is very different than the tripod ones. Try before and look for the better way to use it for you. I never use it right !!!! and lost a lot of pics for this reason. Laughing

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a monopod. I hate it, or perhaps I am too conservative to learn it. Its very limiting for moving targets and MF lenses, where fine focus change on moving animal is best done by moving your body. Its much slower to react with a monopod, and clumsy to move with it.

I hate tripods worse of course, but when you need one you need one, a monopod is not really a substitute.

200mm f/2.8 is easy to hand-hold in good light, I suggest you try that. Even heavy lenses can be easy to hold if you try for fast shutter speeds. I also look for support points like railings or corners if I need them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the monopod for critical focus, course I use the no-IS Canons.

My monopod uses swivel head and swivel feet.... yes little optional feet Laughing
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/332749-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging__682B_Professional_Monopod_Black_.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I tried a monopod. I hate it, or perhaps I am too conservative to learn it. Its very limiting for moving targets and MF lenses, where fine focus change on moving animal is best done by moving your body. Its much slower to react with a monopod, and clumsy to move with it.

I hate tripods worse of course, but when you need one you need one, a monopod is not really a substitute.

200mm f/2.8 is easy to hand-hold in good light, I suggest you try that. Even heavy lenses can be easy to hold if you try for fast shutter speeds. I also look for support points like railings or corners if I need them.

Keep trying to make friendship with both they are great at many situation. I was bored about them before , but now I just love them. So try and try again like I did finally I am sure you will love them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce.

How do you use the monopod? helping with arms or legs?

I ask to you 'cos I never found a good way to use it.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Hi Bruce.

How do you use the monopod? helping with arms or legs?

I ask to you 'cos I never found a good way to use it.

Regards, Rino.

I use it anyway I can, I must admitt my ability to stabilize a long lens really frustrates me with the Canon. [ Same with macro] With the quick retractable feet, and the swivels in the head and base, for pan and tilting, this must be the best monopod ever made. Esp for low ISO and slow shutter speeds, I need help. The beauty of this pod it also serves as a quick makeshift tripod with the feet extended. I tie it off on my bicycle when Im out shooting along with several other rigs I use. A carry over from my video days... Rigs. I love rigs. My bicycle is a veritable rolling studio, with monitors, battery packs, articulating arms, clamps, and stabilizers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, the rigs are good things too. The times goes bye, and the firmness to hold the cam with teles too. Sad Laughing

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little V adapter for the top of my monopod - that way you can rest longer lenses on it which don't have a tripod mount (I use it with my Tammie SP 60-300/3.8-5.4).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "V" was publicited by magazines in the 70's and 80's, if I don't remember bad.

Good idea too. Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like lighter lenses for that kind of photography as fast glass can cause problems with DOF at that FL.

I quite like monopods for certain situations. I used to use it on my Tair all the time, but now I've swapped it for the Tamron 5.6/300, it doesn't get much use.

One use for a monopod is to take pics of crowds from above with camera on a timer. A technique I saw someone use.