Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

`FED' up
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: `FED' up Reply with quote

Just a test roll through the FED 2 so nothing earth-shattering here.

The Industar 26M lens has issues with bright sun and a few shots were ruined due to flare. The J11 & J8 shots seemed ok, so I'm ruling out light leaks/shutter issues.

Shot on Tri-X 400iso and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 13 mins. 1-6 were with J-8 and the remainder are with the I-26M.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent compositions. Good tonal range. I gotta give another try to Tri-X sooner or later. Maybe a hood should help with flare problem. A yellow filter should avoid chalk white sky in some shots, but that is just an obsession of mine (the white skies). I do prefer at least just a hint of grey, that tiny bit so one can tell the sky from the white border on a print but it's just matter of taste.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty - Yeah I agree about the filters. I'm trying to get some in this size but they seem rare.

What was it you didn't like about Tri-X? It is lower contrast than I'm used to so I'm fine-tuning my developing to compensate, Not 100% happy yet though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look for a step ring, so you could use a more common filter size. In the past I only shot a coupla rolls of Tri-X. I got mixed results, pleasant ones in soft overcast light and too harsh in bright sunlight, from a roll I shot at box speed and developed as per instructions in D-76. That was long ago, I hadn't much experience then. I remember having pushed a roll to 1600 in D-76 with success. My printing technique has improved too in the meantime, so there is room for new experimentation Smile .

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, to me these photos have a Soviet quality, just like many that I've taken with my Fed do. Maybe it's the season Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Funny, to me these photos have a Soviet quality, just like many that I've taken with my Fed do. Maybe it's the season Wink

That's what drew me to these cameras. They have a certain look.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, particularly like the trainline shots. I'm becoming a bit of a train geek aren't I?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Cool, particularly like the trainline shots. I'm becoming a bit of a train geek aren't I?

Thanks.

I go through phases. Last month I seemed to shoot a lot of graves, so trains seem an improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Fed at a camera show, I immediately went to the NJ Meadowlands to try it out. Railroads, stuff like that. And nearly immediately, I shot 5 frames with the lens cap on Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the rather gritty look to many of the photos. Number 7, though, shows a more refined look and displays a good contrast range.

I used Tri-X almost exclusively years ago. Then T-Max some. More recently I've been using Tri-X Professional (400TX), and I must say that this is the nicest B&W film I've used to date. I love its contrast range, sharpness, and fineness of grain. You might try a roll.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi - I had one blank frame so I think I must have done that too. The joy of rangefinders.

Michael - That the exact film I used.