Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica R4s body...has it got some corrosion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Leica R4s body...has it got some corrosion? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Looking at the body with the little bubbles/lumps (what is the correct term) is it a form of corrosion?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me as if there is mould on the top and rusting under the paintwork. Look at all the rust on the screws above the eyepiece. It must have been stored somewhere damp. The R4s wasn't the most reliable Leica, anyway (the R4s Mod P or Mod 2 was brought in, briefly, as an improvement).

I wouldn't buy this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Looks to me as if there is mould on the top and rusting under the paintwork. Look at all the rust on the screws above the eyepiece.

I see the same mould & rust and I agree, it's not that hard to find one in better condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I did not realise cameras can rust Rolling Eyes or go moldy for that matter...only thought that applied to lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
... The R4s wasn't the most reliable Leica, anyway

The R4s was fine, it was the early R4 bodies that were problematic. The R4sP added additional weather-and idiot-proofing. In my experience the R4s and R4sP were equally reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is equally likely that the former owner had very corrosive sweat. I've seen this same sort of phenomenon often on older electric guitars, where the hardware was often quite corroded because of the player's sweat.

As for the bumps under the leatherette on the back, I've seen these often on old Zeiss folders and Rollei TLRs. I've even heard them referred to as "Zeiss bumps." Typically, what you'll find when you peel back the leatherette is brass screws that have begun to corrode. The green corrosion builds up in lumps and causes the bulges seen under the leatherette. It's pretty easy to clean, and usually there is little if any damage done. I would expect to find the same sort of thing under the R4s's leatherette.

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting cooltouch as it is on the top and around the eyepiece.maybe a good practice to wipe down a camera after use....being in 40 degree heat you tend to sweat a lot...or is it glisten if you are female... Laughing