Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contarex mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Contarex mount? Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I have been looking for years what the mount for the contarex camera is for use the two lenses with an adapter on a canon eos camera.

The contarex camera made by "ZEISS west germany" have a Planar 50mm 1:2 Carl Zeiss lens and a Sonnar 135mm 1:4.
The Sonnar is exactly like this one but in black:
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/lensgallery/german/carl_zeiss/carl_zeiss_sonnar_135mm_f4_contarex.JPG.html
The camera is a contarex electronic:
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/lensgallery/german/carl_zeiss/carl_zeiss_sonnar_135mm_f4_contarex.JPG.html
The mount on the lens is the contrary as the EOS mount, it goes inside the lens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...
As soon as I can I'll upload pictures of the camera, lenses and mounts ...
Thank you!

Pau

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contarex mount might be described as a inverse breech lock with outer couplings. It is generally considered extremely hard to adapt without losing functionality, but as far as I know some people have made Contarex to EOS adapters. I don't know whether these reach infinity, though...

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see someone using it or someone in the forum got an adapter?
This give me hope!
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't ever seen one in person, but adapters have sometimes shown up on ebay. That doesn't imply that they reach infinity - some other odd adapters I bought there did not. .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, madrileño!!

Did you find so high difference between the contarex planar and another zeiss planars, like the C/Y or the pancolar? They will be more easy to use in DSRL. Of course if you like to use the contarex planar.....

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sevo, hi Rino (hola argentino! Smile
the thing is I already own a contarex camera with those two lenses and though it was possible to use them on a digital camera, teorically it seems possible to use by it's focal plane distance, but maybe the adapter have to be bigger than possible to get infinite focus... What a pitty....
Anyway, thanks for the response, if you get into a adapter think of me! Smile
merry christmas !!!
Pau

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an adapter available for Leica M-mount, but that is not what
you want I guess.

For DSLR there is no easy way to adapt the Contarex mount lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
For DSLR there is no easy way to adapt the Contarex mount lenses.

Very true. I have tried once and I poorly failed...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapt Contarex lenses to Olympus 4/3 DSLR...however, EOS bodies do not have sufficient clearance for incorporating Iris control and the EOS bodies has to undergo irrevertable modification before Contarex lenses can be used.

Contarex lenses that I use with 4/3 thereon...

Last edited by amoebahydra on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pitty it is not possible to mount those nice lenses to a 5D ... it's such a beauty to see a digicam with an old nice piece of glass ...
Maybe an adapter without aperture selection would be possible maintaining infinite focus? Have anybody seen? Maybe a 2.0 or 3.5 fix aperture adapter ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:

Contarex lenses that I use with 4/3 thereon...

What a collection!! I can see my two lenses there ...

You sure enjoy them!