Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Tessar .. which one ? :D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Tele Tessar .. which one ? :D Reply with quote

Hello here !

Although i am mostly a 50mm user, i plan to buy a tele lens for specific purposes : sports that is and others.

I read many reviews and checked the images posted here. Great quality, but i'd like to know which one is sufficent enough for long distance photos, lets say 50-100 meters.

My first choice is the Tele Tessar 300mm f4, second would be the 200mm.

Any users infos would be nice, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200mm will be short I think. Tele-Tessar 300mm f4 is a superb lens as all Contax great choice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Sports?
Snooker or real sports like football, rugby or so..?
accredited or not?

First take a zoom and find out, which fits perfect for yourSport needs.

After that, we can discuss this serious.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
What kind of Sports?
Snooker or real sports like football, rugby or so..?
accredited or not?

First take a zoom and find out, which fits perfect for yourSport needs.

After that, we can discuss this serious.

Cheers
Henry

+1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well you're right. The purpose would be for motosports, non accredited of course. Moto GP, rally, F1, other races.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Oh well you're right. The purpose would be for motosports, non accredited of course. Moto GP, rally, F1, other races.

Depend from your position of course , but take one longest what you can.

Perhaps an 500mm f8 mirror good idea over your selection , it will be fill full screen so no disturbing doughnuts will be there. Tamron SP for example will perfect much your Contax gears.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Hexi

As far as i can see in your footer, you are shooting only with film.
Cant see any DSLR..

So it would be the best, to take some different SLR Bodys with you.
You have to work with the famous "focus trap" in varying distances.
That is nothing you can really achieve with one lens and one body.
First of all, a stable tripod is necessary with old MF Lenses for that.
You have to mount different SLR Bodys and lenses with different focal lengths... on that Tripod in parallel and align that "Trap".

In my eyes, for sports, if you are not familiar with action photography and the term "focus trap" with different cams and lenses, the results in comparison to modern AF lenses will be poor.

But the best would be to take a modern zoom lens 70-300mm and a TC to find out, which focal length fits for you.
On this long distances, especially if you not accredited, its a painfull job.

Working with MF Lenses means.. take you time, make a good composition of your suget..

Sports means.. be quick, react immediately, look forsigthed... and handle your gear as breathing the air.

IMHO sport is today the domain of AF Lenses and modern DSLR Bodys.
Not for film.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your advices. Its true that i shoot film for now, but the lens i plan to buy and use would be mounted on a DSLR i plan to buy, the 1Ds or 5D.
I could practice and "learn" the lens until then because the event will be only in end of May , GP Moto @ le Mans.

That said i can use it also in different not quick purposes, wildlife, even portraits maybe, so i want to make it an "all rounder". I'll still have time.