Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adaptamatic 24/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Tamron Adaptamatic 24/3.5 Reply with quote

Yet another lens I wanted for my Adaptamatic collection, this came quite cheaply via ebay. Patience is rewarded !

All the Adaptamatic wide-angles - 21/4.5, 24/3.5, 28/2.8, 35/2.8

This is like all the other Adaptamatics, though as a 24mm it has quite an old-fashioned design with a very large front element. Compared to the Tokina T4 24mm of the same vintage, this one has a 72mm ring vs 67mm.

The only outstanding feature of this one seems to be quite a close-focus ability, it goes down to less than 10inches/under .25m .This particular lens however seems not to be properly adjusted for infinity focus, which is very annoying on these wide angles, as it prevents reliable scale-focusing. And this one also has a sticky iris which only goes down to f/8 - f/11 and f/16 can't be reached, which is also a serious problem with an ultra-wide.

As for performance, well, its not very good. Wide open its quite soft, stopped down to f/8 its perfectly usable, though I've seen better.

It also suffers considerably from flare - its that big front element I'm sure. This one should not be pointed into the sun, definitely, even with a good hood, and I did have an excellent hood in 72mm. You do want a hood with this thing.

I haven't been able to find any distortion. I can see that it may yield bad corners on a full-frame camera, it already tends that way on my crop sensor.

All in all, this is probably the worst of the Adaptamatics as far as I can tell from this copy. The Adaptamatic 21mm is much better, ancient design and all, and so is the Tokina T4 24mm.

Some Sunday tourist shots in the Dolores/Noe/Mission area - many from Mission Dolores, AKA the original Mission San Francisco de Asis.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one collecting Adapt-a-Matics. I think they are under appreciated which is good for me! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28mm one with a minolta mount which is no use to me so I've been waiting for a either a more suitable mount or a lens that has more suitable mount attached.

I won a 135mm with m42 mount a while back but the seller never provided payment details so I had no way to pay and he just ignored me!