Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vemar Automatic 200mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Vemar Automatic 200mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I got this lens last year in a box with a Minolta SRT 101 camera and five other lenses for $50. That comes out to $7.14 per piece! I find that this lens is the surprise of the group.

The lens focuses "backwards" compared to most lenses that I have used, but the focus action is very smooth. It is easy to find the correct focus either on the SRT or on my Canon Rebel XT. Though I need to use an adapter with a glass element to get full use out of this on my Canon, I find that my pictures still come out sharp. Though I find that this adapter really only works well for telephoto lenses and not normal to wide lenses.

This lens looks to be the same as the Chinon 200mm f/3.5 shown in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-3-5-200mm-different-versions-need-your-opinion-t18219.html

When using the lens on the XT the RAW photos come out with fairly low contrast, though they clean up quite nicely with a little adjustment on the computer. The colors look fairly nice, though I ususlly boost up the saturation a bit, too. It does tend to give a purple fringe in highlights, but I don't find it too bad, and it also cleans up nicely (I use GIMP for this kind of editing). The lens has a built in hood to keep away lens flare, and I haven't had a problem with it, though I try to stay away from flare situations.

Here are a few photos I took with this lens this Summer at the Detroit Zoo. I was quite pleased with the pictures that came from this lens during my day at the zoo. It was generally cloudy (and a little rainy), but in between the raindrops this was a great lens to get up close to the animals. These pictures have been processed to bring out the best in them - mostly just contrast adjustment and sharpening. I hope this is OK in this forum.

I think it is not too bad for a $7 lens. I wish all my $7 lenses performed this well, or I wish all my lenses were $7 AND performed at least this well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic #1 made me think again about adapters with optical elements.
Surprisingly sharp for the condition!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pic #1 made me think again about adapters with optical elements.

I have heard all kinds of bad things about adapters with optical elements, too, but this adapter works well with this lens and a 300mm lens that I have. However, it doesn't work well with a Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 and a Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which both work very well on the Minolta film camera. Those lenses look very soft-focus (blurry) on my Canon with the adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great #3
Pity about the light.

It seems a very fine lens. Possibly made by Cosina ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the details of the rhino skin in the first picture are unbelievable ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice for $7! believe it or not, i have a vemar t mount 60-120mm i think--i have to go dig it out, along w my adapter. ive only taken less than half dozen shots, but maybe now i will go look for it and take some more!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning result! Great pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. Lens with very good contrast. As Paw-prints said, "mostly just contrast adjustment and sharpening", the contrast was heightened with high impact and very fine tonal extension, but the resolution power isn't as great as the contrast for me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know anything about vemar lenses? what is their story?