Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steadiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Steadiness Reply with quote

Hi!

Have you ever tried what's your "steadiness factor"? What is the maximum exposure time you get sharp pictures hand-held?

I was reading Michael Freeman's 101 Top Digital Photography Tips. In paragraph 41 is a test where you can try how steady your hands are.

I made the test with my 350d with crappy Kit lens at 55mm. Photographed a calendar.

Pictures turned to be like this (just few examples):

1. 1/100 seconds (100 % crop)

2. 1/5 seconds (100 % crop)

3. 1/2 second (100 % crop)

4. This was taken at London. 30mm, 1/4 seconds, hand-held.

I normally have shaky hands but IMO those photos are quite sharp.

The technique behind these photos is: Just before I push the button, I press the camera to my face with power. My nose twists a bit so it might look sometimes funny but it's effective! I use my face as monopod for the camera... Very Happy

What kind of techniques you use?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding breath for a moment and coming to peace before pulling the trigger and press your underams to your body while holding the camera (without cramping of course) helps me. And / or leaning towards a wall, tree, car etc. also helps to stabilize.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't find a career in the military interesting back in 1994 I do find that sniper training has been beneficiary for stability at slow shutter speeds. I use a technique of steady slow breathing and slowly pressing shutter, timing exposure so that shutter is triggered just as I am at the point of emptying my lungs. Holding my breath makes for shaking as muscles and the body very quickly starts reacting to the lack of air. What works for me is of course personal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Holding breath for a moment and coming to peace before pulling the trigger and press your underams to your body while holding the camera (without cramping of course) helps me. And / or leaning towards a wall, tree, car etc. also helps to stabilize.
The same is true for me. The slowest speed depends a lot on several accessory variables such as wind, temperature, physical strength (when I'm really tired becomes difficult to hold steady). Then of course the features of camera/body assembly: lesser the weight easier the task, cameras with no mirror movement have way less recoil and so on. In the best case with SLR and light wide angle I can get reasonably sharp pictures at 1/8".

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breathing slowly, trying to be very relaxed and breathing out, the body all rested within itself, at the point when all the air is out I push the release

and kind of support for the whole body is very helpful, e.g. leaning against a wall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find if I stop drinking at least a couple of minutes before....

Frankly age does not help and I am relying more and more on mechanical support like walls and trees, tripods and monopods, car roofs and lamposts. Basically anything firm that will stabilize me.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recently with my XS (1000D) and the kit 18-55 IS lens. Image Stabilization allows for a range of movements, and as long as one stays within that range, theoretically the exposure could last forever. However, the best I was able to do, and maintain reasonable sharpness, was 3.2 seconds. I was sitting down, just braced my arms against my sides, and held the camera firmly to my face. Check the EXIF data.

I have another shot of this same scene at 2 seconds that's quite a bit sharper.