Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 17/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Tokina RMC 17/3.5 Reply with quote

well, instead of buying that 300mm nikkor I bought a wide lens... Tokina RMC 17/3.5, I think the price for "mint" lens was fair (110€ + 16€ shipping)
here's a photo of the lens that i'll get

I'll be posting some photos as soon as I get it Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should like it - not a topnotch lens, but a very adequate performer. Good value, given how wide it is,

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously yes... too bad I have a Nikon body Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon mount ones are much more expensive, because they can be used on digital Nikons and Canons.

Very nice lens. I have the Vivitar-version and it even can be used on a 5D. "Real" 17mm ... wow!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only can Nikon mount lenses be used on Canon and Nikon DSLRs, but they can be used on Canon FD cameras as well, retaining infinity focus with the appropriate glass-less adapter. Not even to mention the MFT crowd. So yeah, a Nikon mount really boosts the value.

I have a Vivitar 17mm f/3.5, which is built by Tokina and supposedly the same lens with a few cosmetic differences. It's a great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a question on you. Which one 17mm is better? This Tokina or Tamron SP?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus wrote:
I've a question on you. Which one 17mm is better? This Tokina or Tamron SP?

The Tamron is better, no contest. The Tokina has less distortion but wide open its noticably softer and has more CA than the Tamron. The Tamron is very good wide open and has very neutral colours with no wierd casts.
The biggest problem with the Tamron is it has no filter thread whereas the Tokina has a standard 67mm thread. This makes the Tokina far more usefull for work where LP/CP, or 80B filters are required and unlike the Tamron it is'nt too fussy as to which hood you use on it.
I like to use hoods on all my lenses but I dont have the dedicated Tamron hood for the Tamron, and did'nt fancy paying the high going rate for one so many shots have been ruined due to flare.
To address this problem I removed the glass from a 67mm UV filter and very carefully and neatly epoxied the ring onto the front of my Tamron with some Plastic Padding Super Steel Epoxy Weld...Now its far more usefull than the Tokina! Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think, filters are no problem for me. Yours filter problem solution is interesting. As far as I know it has built-in filters, but only early version of this lens, if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidus wrote:
Thanks. I think, filters are no problem for me. Yours filter problem solution is interesting. As far as I know it has built-in filters, but only early version of this lens, if I remember correctly.

Mine has the built in filters (A 81B warming filter, a R60 red filter and a Y2 yellow filter) but they are totally useless to me so I leave it on normal, which is the "straight through" setting.
The only filters worth using IMHO are LP's or CP's and 80B Blue filters. The latter being perfect for correcting the extremely strong yellow cast given by Soldium street lighting at night.