Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto promura 300mm ...Galahs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Auto promura 300mm ...Galahs Reply with quote

This is my first go at capturing birds in flight,I had a normal tripod but had it's legs together and swiveled as I took the shots.it was overcast early evening.I set it at infinity and hoped for the best...not bad I think??I wish I was better at this as I know they are out of focus and not crisp.Always room for improvement.Smile

This is in the middle of a cricket pitch where they were feeding on some grass.shame you can not hear the noise they make when gathered in large flocks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very grainy, looks made with a toy camera. Which film did you use ? Scanner ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Kodak gold 400(bought cheap so using as my test film) so I know I have to get some iso100 but very hard to come by where I am.
I use the shop to scan negs to disc then to computer.I recently had my old pre 2000 negatives scanned which are iso 100 and the difference is noticeable in the grain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately this is not the way what you have to go.

If you need speedy film, try to get expired , but cold stored Fuji 400 pro. Cheap too and difference is huge, huge.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila,I have 4 rolls left of the kodak so I will be looking for the fuji.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***not bad I think??I wish I was better at this as I know they are out of focus and not crisp.Always room for improvement.Smile***

Well you were optimistic on an overcast early evening, using a 300mm lens for a moving target.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well you were optimistic on an overcast early evening, using a 300mm lens for a moving target.

I had to have a go as these birds were only feeding around that time,After reading some comments on this forum I knew the light would be against me.I am mainly pleased that I could actually get them flying in the frame so I know I can work on the other areas...it was getting confidence to actually try and take the shot..heavy lens,tripod and standing in the middle of a cricket pitch (No security guards Laughing ).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the screen they look not that bad as overall effect. Shooting with such long focal can be tricky for several reasons, 1st of all the weight and bulk. Then should be taken in account that very careful focusing is needed since with long focals the DOF is very shallow. I'd also use a cable release to minimize the shake, or if not available the self timer (of course if using a tripod, would be pointless otherwise). If you chose a 100 ASA film (or less) the tripod will be almost mandatory at every time. At 400 (or more) in full daylight is sometimes possible to go hand held and get satisfactory results.
The key is the fastest possible shutter speed. As for the grain matter is to be seen primarily what is the final target, that is if you are going to have the pictures printed or just scanned or whatever. On a traditional RA-4 print the grain of a properly exposed Gold 400 should be of no concern. Working on a scan could pose some problem. As Attila pointed out a professional film is usually less grainy (provided it's fresh or if not properly stored at least).

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty I really appreciate your thoughts on how to improve my techniques and your explanations.
Thanks

How do you focus on a flying bird....do you do as I did and just set it at infinity and hope for the best or is there another way to do it? I suppose a greater lens range (and better lens) would have helped as I think I was right at the Promura's limit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Marty I really appreciate your thoughts on how to improve my techniques and your explanations.
Thanks

How do you focus on a flying bird....do you do as I did and just set it at infinity and hope for the best or is there another way to do it? I suppose a greater lens range (and better lens) would have helped as I think I was right at the Promura's limit.

erm can you get closer to the target as there are plenty of good zooms 70-210mm or 80-200mm going cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could with a lot of patience as these birds are like little nutters...very unpredictable....and tend to take off unexpectedly.I do have a few other lens in the 70-230 range(Vivitar , soligor) but I thought the longer lens the better for birds?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No birding below 300mm , most of the time need long as you have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looking at the shots, which I like actually, I'd guess they were just scanned with poor settings?

Or is the film the real problem here?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Hmm, looking at the shots, which I like actually, I'd guess they were just scanned with poor settings?

Or is the film the real problem here?

I suppose both.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
How do you focus on a flying bird....do you do as I did and just set it at infinity and hope for the best or is there another way to do it?
More or less yes. I would focus on a point where the birds will likely fly (if they're close enough to the ground), keep the camera aimed and when the birds will fly in the frame I'd trip the shutter. Lots of patience involved, I know. This is the way they used to shoot sports, for example, before the AF entered the scene.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd guess they were just scanned with poor settings?

Quote:
Or is the film the real problem here

Both are possible,I look at the photos and see the smudge type edges and think maybe they scanned wrong...when I take them to the shop I ask for NO post processing so I can see where I go wrong.I have some other older negatives which where scanned using the same equipment and it was an asa 100 film and the grain is better.I can post one of the asa 100 scanned negatives up for you to judge between them?