Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

old school non-trombone zoom with non-articulating zoom ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: old school non-trombone zoom with non-articulating zoom ring Reply with quote

Hello.

I know the title is very weird, but I can't find better description.

I need an on school (MEANS CHEAP <$10) Zoom lens. 70-200 and almost any aperture will be OK.

This lens is going to be used for certain experiment, so image quality does not needs to be top notch (but not too bad either). I only care for zoom ring to stay in place when rotating it, since I have to mount it into some industrial equipment.

So far I got 100-200/3.5 Projector lens, but image quality is close to onusable, low sharpness and lot of CA.

So were there any models which fit above requirements? When looking on ebay, from the pictures I can see such lens only for modern, AF cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few old zooms, two ring, that I don't need. Where are you? postage might make them not worth posting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two-touch zoom lenses will work for you.
One ring to focus one ring to zoom.
There are plenty of models from the 1970s like this made by Tamron, Kiron, Sun, etc.
Look in eBay for Kiron made 85-205 f/3.8. Can be found under many brand names.
IQ is pretty good, they are common and cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understood properly, to distinguish the lens, I have to check the barrel. If it is two piece, than it has separate zoom ring, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-MD-Mt-85-205-mm-F-3-8-Lens-/261450505619?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cdfaa1d93

And if it has one large barrel, than it is wrong type, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-80-200mm-f4-close-focus-zoom-canon-fd-mount-READ-/261449264326?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cdf972cc6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, pretty much.
Also,
Some two-ring zooms change length when you zoom, some don't.
Is that a factor for your application ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some extent - yes, but about 3-4cm is tolerable. Lens will be focused on infinity. This is for machine vision project for university workshop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron SP 70-210mm #52A sounds ideal, but it may cost a little more than $10.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, too expensive. I just want models to look for ebay forgotten $0.99 auctions w. free shipping Very Happy