Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 105 P(sonnar) 2.5 & CZJ Sonnar 135mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Nikkor 105 P(sonnar) 2.5 & CZJ Sonnar 135mm 3.5 Reply with quote

Hi:
I have a Nikkor 105P (Sonner) 2.5, with the diaphragm as broken and I can not spare'm looking for another similar lens to replace.
I found a Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5.
Someone can tell me the differences between them? What are its characteristics?
Sharp, Bokeh, etc.
Thank you very much

Last edited by francotirador on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blades are not interchangeable between these two lenses. You will be better off buying a broken one on eBay and replacing the diaphragm unit (without taking out the blades) or simply swapping the optical block. Here's a link to the repair manual for this Nikkor:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2HCNSki081YC&pg=PA97&dq=nikkor+105mm+repair#v=onepage&q=&f=false

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I expressed myself badly, sorry

Last edited by francotirador on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
The blades are not interchangeable between these two lenses. You will be better off buying a broken one on eBay and replacing the diaphragm unit (without taking out the blades) or simply swapping the optical block. Here's a link to the repair manual for this Nikkor:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2HCNSki081YC&pg=PA97&dq=nikkor+105mm+repair#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I want to replace the lens, maybe a 135 3.5 Sonnar.
Thanks and sorry, my English is not very good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/3.5 Sonnar is a great lens, which I have.

However the Nikkor-P 105/2.5 is also a great lens, and it's one stop faster so provides narrower depth of field.

I have a late multi-coated CZJ Sonnar and the Nikkor-P definitely has an older, less capable coating.. which contributes to its dreamy look wide-open. Also the Nikkor is mechanically better-built, the East German and Russian lenses are a hit-and-miss affair.

So.. optically.. I think the CZJ would be sharper, it's definitely lighter, but deeper DOF, and one stop slower.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean with aperture broken?

physically broken/missing parts, or sticky/non-working aperture?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a CZJ 3,5/135 in our market, not doubt, BUY IT.

Can you fix the nikkor lens? Well do it.

But the CZJ must be in your equipment anyway.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
The 135/3.5 Sonnar is a great lens, which I have.

However the Nikkor-P 105/2.5 is also a great lens, and it's one stop faster so provides narrower depth of field.

I have a late multi-coated CZJ Sonnar and the Nikkor-P definitely has an older, less capable coating.. which contributes to its dreamy look wide-open. Also the Nikkor is mechanically better-built, the East German and Russian lenses are a hit-and-miss affair.

So.. optically.. I think the CZJ would be sharper, it's definitely lighter, but deeper DOF, and one stop slower.

Tanks,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
If you find a CZJ 3,5/135 in our market, not doubt, BUY IT.

Can you fix the nikkor lens? Well do it.

But the CZJ must be in your equipment anyway.

Rino.

Gracias, por la opinion.
Querría comprar los dos y hacer una comparativa entre los tres, el pentacon, el sonnar y el nikkor.
Lamentablemente esta semana y la que viene no tendre el dinero. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got the nikkor 105/2.5 ais yesterday and i have the CZJ 135/3.5 for less that 2 months...i hope that the wheather improves so i can make some pictures whit the nikkor...stay tuned Smile

tomas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
i just got the nikkor 105/2.5 ais yesterday and i have the CZJ 135/3.5 for less that 2 months...i hope that the wheather improves so i can make some pictures whit the nikkor...stay tuned Smile

tomas

Ell 105 AIS and 105 P are different. The AIS is Xenotar and P is Sonnar. your lens is more sharp.
I wait to see a comparison between both.
Tanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

The 105mm and 135mm focal lengths are too different to replace one lens with another. While CZJ 135/3.5 is a nice lens, it is currently way overprised. For less than 1/3 of its price, you can pick up a non-Ai Nikkor 135/3.5 which uses exactly the same optical formula. I've got both single and multi-coated versions of said Nikkor, and like it better than CZJ build-wise.

If I were you, I would sell the faulty 105mm and buy a replacement one. If you like the Sonnar rendering (I do), 'silver nose' versions are going for not much money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
what do you mean with aperture broken?

physically broken/missing parts, or sticky/non-working aperture?

5 of 6 blades are broken, broken in part. The rest of the lens is perfect, no scratches, no fungus, the perfect coating. It's a shame. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
francotirador wrote:

The 105mm and 135mm focal lengths are too different to replace one lens with another. While CZJ 135/3.5 is a nice lens, it is currently way overprised. For less than 1/3 of its price, you can pick up a non-Ai Nikkor 135/3.5 which uses exactly the same optical formula. I've got both single and multi-coated versions of said Nikkor, and like it better than CZJ build-wise.

If I were you, I would sell the faulty 105mm and buy a replacement one. If you like the Sonnar rendering (I do), 'silver nose' versions are going for not much money.

I did not know that the 135 Q non AI was a sonnar.
Thank you very much, very kind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
I did not know that the 135 Q non AI was a sonnar.

Yep, it is a Sonnar. See http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/telephoto/135mm.htm (bottom of the page) for an optical diagram. I was lucky enough to pick up the 'K' version of this lens, multicoated, with 7 rounded diaphragm blades. It's sharp and renders very nicely.