Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any users of Zeiss 24/2 Apha here? Or good wide manual glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Any users of Zeiss 24/2 Apha here? Or good wide manual glass Reply with quote

I was wondering about the best sort of wide lens for my NEX. I have the alpha adapter and not being completely convinced by the E-mount Zeiss 24/1.8 for the price it goes for, I was wondering about the 24/2.

AF is not a priority and Canon FD 24/1.4 has also been in my sights but it commands almost the same price as the Zeiss.

So I am wondering about people's experience and also recommendations for a sort of fast 24mm. I'd like something sharp corner to corner at f2 or faster.

Any suggestions particularly among the older MF glass (this being the forum that it is)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sharp corner to corner at f2 or faster"

I don't think such thing exist.

I have Canon FD 24/2 which has very good contrast and sharpness wide open at center (two for sale on the bay actually). The OM will have lower contrast but more even sharpness across the field when you stop down, and Nikon somewhere in between.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly there are wide anle lenses that have acceptable sharpness across the frame at f/2 - especially on a NEX, which is a crop body camera. Unfortunately, this is probably not the case for lenses with as wide a field of view as you are looking for. There are fast (f/2, f/1.4) 35mm focal length lenses that have very respectable corner and center sharpness numbers. I personally like the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 on the NEX, but this may not be fast nor wide enough for you. I once rented a Canon 24mm f/1.4L for a job, and was impressed, but in that mount, the 24mm f/2.8 is a much better bargain in my opinion. Of course, I don't usually need the speed at that focal length.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:

That lens is actually sharp... while it's not the fastest compared to canon and Nikon rivals, it's already very good @f2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would certainly depend on what "acceptable" is to one, but I think the 24/1.8 is likely going to have the best performance on NEX7 of all other lenses (with a price to match though), here's a test from lensrental, you can see the room for improvement from wide open to f4.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison

Cheers,

RTI wrote:
aleksanderpolo wrote:

That lens is actually sharp... while it's not the fastest compared to canon and Nikon rivals, it's already very good @f2