Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New ZF.2 lenses for Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: New ZF.2 lenses for Nikon Reply with quote

Zeiss has announced the new ZF.2 lenses for Nikon.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A100537AB9/allBySubject/Press2

Basically they have introduced the chip to the ZF mount, allowing full automation, exposure settings, and EXIF data.

This is probably going to make Nikon users happier, except (also probably) those that have already bought a ZF lens without the chip...

The lenses will be adjusted to the new mount in the next months. One exception is the Distagon 25, which is being "reworked and optimized" (whatever that means) and will therefore be re-introduced later.

The current (chipless) ZF products will be offered "as long as the demand continues".

And... sorry, but no mention of an upcoming ZF.2 Distagon 1.4/35... Rolling Eyes

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New ZF.2 lenses for Nikon Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

And... sorry, but no mention of an upcoming ZF.2 Distagon 1.4/35... Rolling Eyes

-

They have a 2/35 in their line-up. And this lens already is pretty expensive. I guess Zeiss thinks that a 1.4/35 would hardly be sellable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automation does not include auto focus and the aperture has to be set by hand I believe

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the lens now transmits the EXIF data such as manufacturer, date, metering system and exposure to the camera, photographers no longer need to set the parameters manually.

[sarcasm]Wow, what an improvement![/sarcasm]

ZF.2 lenses still have an aperture ring ie. I can't set aperture from the front or rear command dial on the body like I do with Nikkor G-series lenses.

Lens now just comes with pre-programmed chip. EXIF data has always been there on my "old" ZF 85/1.4, I just needed one time to enter and set the parameters and save them on one of the memory slots reserved for non-CPU lenses. Focal length, aperture - the rest of EXIF data (apart from manufacturer name in EXIF) always was there and need not to be programmed.

Exposure automation like Aperture Priority mode has already worked from day 1 (provided that you've saved focal length and max aperture into one of the non-CPU lens memory slots).

Great marketing speach from Zeiss, for what in practice has no impact to existing ZF users who have a D200/300/700/D3/D3s/D3x with non-CPU lens memory slots. For all other Nikon bodies, this is a small but (maybe) important improvement.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Automation does not include auto focus and the aperture has to be set by hand I believe
patrickh

Yes, sorry, my manual focus mind Laughing used the term "full automation" as it was meant time ago (auto aperture and availability of both time and aperture priority)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the only thing that changes is that the LENS field in EXIF will on ZF.2 lenses read Zeiss Planar T 85mm f/1.4 while it now is empty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great photo, Lucius !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio Smile

It's a great lens, love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal actually, worked without that even with my old D200.
A lot of guys I know "chip" their Nikon MF lenses already and one
guy I sold a Makro Apo Lanthar to, chipped it also. Guess Cosina
introduced this idea to Zeiss, since their SL II line of lenses (for
Nikon) offers that already

@Vilhelm: great autumn shot indeed, looks like burning!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good and bad.

Good: You do not have to register/change lens id every time you change it
if you are using rather new Nikon cameras.

Bad: You cannot use aperture ring to change F-stop, or have to set F16 or
F22 in order to get rid of camera's error and change F-stop by finger wheel.
And older F2 cannot meter with ZF.2 lenses, which do not seem to have meter prong any more!