Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

difficult to clean grunge from spotmatic viewfinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: difficult to clean grunge from spotmatic viewfinder? Reply with quote

fresnel and mirror are clean; just a couple of flecks left in the housing somwhere between the eyepiece and fresnel. i can live with it, but ... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd live with them! They're almost certainly sitting on top of the focusing screen and can't be got at without dismantling the camera.

You'll probably find they'll move around as you carry and use the camera - they might even vanish altogether! But then, their cousins will probably move in to replace them Laughing It's one of the joys of old slr ownership!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I'd live with them! They're almost certainly sitting on top of the focusing screen and can't be got at without dismantling the camera.

You'll probably find they'll move around as you carry and use the camera - they might even vanish altogether! But then, their cousins will probably move in to replace them Laughing It's one of the joys of old slr ownership!

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guys. they do, indeed, move around ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends on your previous experience(s) taking apart cameras. I'm now to the point where I won't even use a camera before completely taking it apart and making sure every seal is intact. But I have 30+ SLRs under my belt. The prism housing is relatively easy to disassemble unless it is heavily surrounded by electronics, which is not the case in earlier spotmatics.

So in short, if you haven't taken an old slr apart before, don't do it. If you have and the reassembly was successful, then it is a simple job.

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not with my neuropathy am i taking this apart. i have enough trouble wielding a seven-inch screwdriver. ain't no way i'm taking tackling screws so tiny i could lose 'em in my hand. i did manage to shake the t trash away from the fresnel spot to the edge. that will do ... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
not with my neuropathy am i taking this apart. i have enough trouble wielding a seven-inch screwdriver.

Ah, another muscle twitcher Cool

Yes, I keep my hands away from fragile pieces as well Laughing Not a problem for me, I just wish I could do my own sensor cleaning, but my hands shake too much to do that safely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
fish4570 wrote:
not with my neuropathy am i taking this apart. i have enough trouble wielding a seven-inch screwdriver.

Ah, another muscle twitcher Cool

Yes, I keep my hands away from fragile pieces as well Laughing Not a problem for me, I just wish I could do my own sensor cleaning, but my hands shake too much to do that safely.

It's quite simple. Remember that you are not cleaning the sensor, but the glass filter above it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

It's quite simple. Remember that you are not cleaning the sensor, but the glass filter above it.

I know, but it's less simple when you have problems with fine motor skills. Even cleaning the glass filter with a very shaky hand will probably result in a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel your pain - i mean shake - eeyore. i can handle cameras with normal/short lens with the old elbow prop on the chest method. sharpness is lost with a telephoto because my storng (left) must support the lens.

the harder i concentrate on doing small/fine things, like mounting a scope on a rifle, the more my hands want to shake. it is an auto-immune condition called chronic inflammatory demyelating polyneuropathy. my own anti-bodies attack and destroy the covering of nerve ends, which means priodic misfires. gross motor skills are ok. i can still drive and push mop, etc., but i will not sew again, or build free-flight model airplanes, or do my own b&w printing, or enjoy handloading rifle cartridges. i think it might be possible to process my own film. we'll see ...,