Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

In comparision for ability which is better??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: In comparision for ability which is better?? Reply with quote

The S-M-C TAKUMAR 1.8/55 or the RICOH 1.4/55

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both (Ricoh in Sears brand)

By reputation the S-M-C Takumar 1.8/55 is probably sharper.

My experience is I can't tell the difference.

Resale value of the Ricoh is higher, maybe 2x or even 3x the Takumar these days, everybody wants that f/1.4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a chance of bidding on the Tak now or having a go at the Ricoh ...I lean towards the Ricoh as that's what I have in my cameras Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 55 mm lenses, the Tak is one of the best.

In 1,4 range, the SMC Tak 1,4/50 has the fame to be a bit better (if it is) than the ricoh's (tomioka?) family of 1,4/55 lenses.

My option, Tak 1,8 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, and the RIKENON 1.4/55 (TOMIOKA) is sharper than the SMC tak 1.8/55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the Tak so looks like the Rikenon is next up Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horvlas wrote:
I have both, and the RIKENON 1.4/55 (TOMIOKA) is sharper than the SMC tak 1.8/55

Hi Horvlas.

I read that among yours lenses, have the rikenon and the mamiya 1,4/55.

What about the mamiya ones? Rikenon and mamiya are the same tomioka lens?

Thanks in advance.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they has same optical construction, only outer cosmetics different. I had Mamiya 1.4/55 too, but I sold it, the rikenon maybe has a bit more contrast in pixelpeeping. Resolution is the same. Little difference only, maybe I had this difference if i had compared two rikenons...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Horvlas, very much.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: In comparision for ability which is better?? Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
The S-M-C TAKUMAR 1.8/55 or the RICOH 1.4/55

WHOOW....

What a compairison. a 1.8 against a 1.4...

Guys, first of all, you have to make clear the classes of lenses you are talkong about !

Take a 1.8 from a facturer you prefer... The Lense would be even better then a 1.2 from the best, Canon, Nikon or Leica.

But why this 1.8 lens would be sharper ?

Its so simple.. its a 1.8.. not a 1.4 or a 1.2...

The usability and correction on a 1,4 Lens is limeted for avaiable light situations. Its more difficult to calculate a 1.4 or especially a 1.2 for this special situations (and in addition to that, its much, much difficult to optimize a 1.2)...

Why you think you can compair a 1.4 with a 1.8 in terms of sharpness?
Whats your comparison base?
Are you talking about a 1.4 stopped down to 1.8 to find the correct and compairable base?

IMHO a 1.4 stopped down to 1.8 is mostly better then a 1.8 wide open..

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I have no idea about the lens or what they are for technically,this question was posed just to get some idea for a learner on which is regarded in a higher esteem by more learned photographers. The choice was which one to aim to get above the other.No use buying junk all the time if I have the chance to grab something that is more worth while.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
To be honest I have no idea about the lens or what they are for technically,this question was posed just to get some idea for a learner on which is regarded in a higher esteem by more learned photographers. The choice was which one to aim to get above the other.No use buying junk all the time if I have the chance to grab something that is more worth while.

Than take the Mamya/Rikenon 1.4... its the best you can get for small money in terms of sharpness, bokeh and durabiity, thats are my 2 cents...
after using and compairing a Rikenon 1.4/55mm against a Summilux 1.4/50, Zuiko 1.4/50, Yashinon DS-M 1.4/50, Carl Zeiss HFT Planar 1.4 and some others...

The Rikenon is one of the best lenses at f/1.4 for the price..
Mostly its a real bargain. Not compairable with the Zeiss or Leica Summilux, but its a very good alternative lens.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best would be to use either lens for a while and then decide. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...I am learning that is the only way to learn is to try the lens.The more I use my lenses the more I understand how it all works.I have my little notepad and write down the lens used, F stop,speed and subject so I know when I look at the photo what I was doing at the time.....next I think I have to put what light was available at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
LOL...I am learning that is the only way to learn is to try the lens.The more I use my lenses the more I understand how it all works.I have my little notepad and write down the lens used, F stop,speed and subject so I know when I look at the photo what I was doing at the time.....next I think I have to put what light was available at the time.

I always have a little pocket notebook with me, mo-fo. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

I use the adams note. (n° pic, subject, zone, aperture, speed, zone taken, lens, observ.-to put the place, hour, day, etc).

In digital you have almost all of these in the cam.

Not fast but usefull (to me).

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens I got,nice glass slightly yellow NO fungus,So very happy....now to use it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horvlas wrote:

With many of these lenses, I think it comes down to condition. I think as a whole they are very close in performance.

I have owned both, and I could not pick a favorite. Either choose on price or aperture and you can't really lose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many non-Yashica M42 lenses have been claimed to be Tomioka-designed or Tomioka-made. Examples include various 55mm/1.4 lenses such as the Rikenon.

Where and for which lenses is such a claim substantiated? Where and for which lenses is such a claim an urban legend spread like some virus by bloggers and eBay sellers?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

The lens I got,nice glass slightly yellow NO fungus,So very happy....now to use it Very Happy

Congrats,

this is one of the best lenses, if not the best, i know in the 55mm range. Did own this lens for long time and did sell this only because i got the chance to buy a Summilux 1.4/50mm with high serial from the late 80'

Now this lens works for a german fried and he like this lens also very much.
Its his general lens since then.

Congrats again.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Henry, I hope I can do it justice.