Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon F2 finder prism interchangeability?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Nikon F2 finder prism interchangeability? Reply with quote

I own a Nikon F2 with a DE-1 Eye-Level (non metered) prism. Somehow, I managed to bump the thing at its apex. Must have been a pretty good bump because, while it put only a small ding in the top of the finder, it managed to put a small star-shaped fracture up at the top of the prism's glass. I noticed after the fact that the reason why this happened was because the prism appears to be loose inside the finder.

Anyway, I'd like to know what sort of interchangeability there is between F2 (and maybe even F?) finders. I'm thinking maybe I can pick up a thrashed DP-1 with busted meter and disect it, then transplant the prism into my only slightly bruised DE-1.

Ever done this before?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the actual prism glass block, but I'm sure the plain prism viewfinders are interchageable between the F and F2 ... Years ago I had an F which came with an F2 prism on it - or maybe vice versa! Anyway, I think it's likely the actual prism blocks are the same inside, irrespective of which finder unit it is.

Might it be worth checking with Nikon?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is probably no-one left at Nikon who knows anything about the F or F2. I was already running into this when I was buying repair parts from their parts department in Torrance, CA about 20 years ago.

I know about the finder interchangeability between the F and F2. I use an F sportfinder with my F2 on a regular basis. I can't think of why they would have changed the prism itself, but given the various shapes of the finders themselves over the years, it is a cause to wonder about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I can't think of why they would have changed the prism itself,

Well, one good reason would be that the Photomic finders project the image to a bigger area, as the sensors adjacent to the eyepiece need some light as well. My guess, going by metered vs. non-metered Mamiya finders is that the prisms will not be identical. YMMV as to whether they fit nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Sevo. It makes me wonder how those sensors work, though. The F2 Photomic finders employ Nikon's traditional 60-40 weighted metering pattern, so I had always assumed that they were somehow metering the light mostly from the center of the image. I know in the Case of the Caon F-1, that the meter sensor actually reads the scene from the center of the focusing screen. But the F/F2 screens are different, so I guess another method is employed.

Alternatively, I suppose I can keep my eyes open for a beat-up DE-1 that still has a good prism, and perhaps pick it up for cheap. And of course, I guess I could always spend a bit more and pick up a working DP-1, and be done with it.