Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Astranar 1:3.5 f=135mm West-Berlin-Gemany Nr. 15389 C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Astranar 1:3.5 f=135mm West-Berlin-Gemany Nr. 15389 C Reply with quote

Hallo, got this beauty today.
It's in exakta mount, silver aluminium with leather strip close to mount - looks like zeiss between plain alu an alu/leather designs. 'Germany' placed close to mount, as on old Zeiss.

The lens can be opened just by screwing parts off - like the Meyer Trioplan, has 15 bladed preset iris, and red 'C' in title - coated. Focusing is in feet.

The only thing i think i know is that it's a US export Piesker and maybe a Cooke Triplet. Will try to make some pictures of and with it this weekend.

Does anyone have more info about it? Maybe some dating or so.
...enjoy the weekend (:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astranar was a trademark used by Sterling Howard, a US importer.

A lot of their early product was from Piesker of Berlin, yours may be one of these. I just sold a Piesker-made Astranar.

Its possible that they put the Astranar name on other German-made lenses also, but I haven't seen them.

Later stuff was from several Japanese makers.

Could you post a picture ? We could ID the thing accurately.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetely a Piesker. I have a 180mm in the same series.

Looks like the original version for Exakta mount. I believe I saw this listed (as Piesker) in Seymours catalog from around 1954-56.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Definetely a Piesker. I have a 180mm in the same series.

Looks like the original version for Exakta mount. I believe I saw this listed (as Piesker) in Seymours catalog from around 1954-56.

cool, thanks, any idea about the glass design? will try to comapare it with meyers trioplan, i don't have a steinheil triplet, did read they were the best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my 5.5/180 is four elements, so who knows. I don't think there are published specifications for Piesker.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already said, this a Piesker Picon 3.5/135, so it should have 3 elements in 2 groups.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a picture, the sharpness fully open did suprise me, bokeh is very interesting. i like the colors also, vegneting is quite strong fully open

100% crop, not sharpened # 3,5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to let it go, if some is interested 25€ or so..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a later Japanese-made Tele-Astranar 135mm/3.5 lens (preset T mount) that I mail ordered from Sterling Howard. This one seems to be a Tokyo Koki (Tokina) product, with 4 elements in 3 groups according to the Sterling Howard literature of that time, like the CZJ 135mm/3.5 Sonnar.