Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first Leica lens ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: My first Leica lens ... Reply with quote

... a Leitz Elmar 9cm f/4, rangefinder with Leica screw mount ...

A few days ago, i have been able to get a Leica-to-M42 adapter, so here is the first shot, taken at f/5.6, without PP:

Too pity cannot reach infinity focus with this one Crying or Very sad

C&C welcome ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I have a 90mm Elmar in the leica-M mount Sad so I can't use it on the dslr.

I get the impression of a white fog across the image, unless it's my monitor. Maybe you could try a few pictures with a hood? The contrast was a bit low on my Elmar (on film) on some difficult light situations, but I still got some very nice portraits of my daughter out of that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any yet. Someday I will though. I do have several excellent Zeiss lenses, tack sharp Takumars and lovely Jupiters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

ikoflexer wrote:

I get the impression of a white fog across the image...

Yes. But that should be easy to correct in PP.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nikon 100E 2.8 has the same white fog and it IS easy to correct in PP.

I have several Leitz Elmarits converted to Nikon F-mounts (35, 90 and 135 and a 500 MR-Telyt incomming), and they can provide great IQ. The below shot is just a testshot during cooking:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
First productive post here. I've actually got one of them Elmars to work a bit better on a DSLR. Mine is a visoflex one, so you can unscrew the lens off the barrel. Next, I had to buy a focusing helicoid (a OUAGO focus mount). Next, I bought a Leica M Visoflex to Nikon adapter (they are on ebay quite regularly). FInally, since I've got an Olympus, a Nikon to Olympus. However, I've also got a Sony, which I now prefer, and I'd like to use it but I can't…
Never mind, it's a long process and I'm not sure it is completely worth it.
I've got some flowers to show (obviously wide open), though:

Portraits look very nice, although I don't have any at hand. I'll see if I can post one.

Cheers,

Xavier[img][/img][img][/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see Elmar images on here! It would be good to know if these particular Elmars are older or younger models - coated or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

ikoflexer wrote:

I get the impression of a white fog across the image, unless it's my monitor. Maybe you could try a few pictures with a hood?

You're right, i just have to find one Sad or build one ... Unluckily, this kind of accessories for Leitz lenses are really expensive ...

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes. But that should be easy to correct in PP.

Any hint on how to do it ? I have used Gimp or Photoshop only for cropping images, before discovering that my raw converter is perfectly able to do it, too ...

pepmaiko wrote:

Mine is a visoflex one, so you can unscrew the lens off the barrel.

How can i know if mine is a Visoflex, too ? I was thinking that all the old Leica lenses had the optical part screwable from the barrel ...
The setup with the OUAGO mount seems interesting ...

scsambrook wrote:

It would be good to know if these particular Elmars are older or younger models - coated or not.

Well, if that can help, mine is labelled "Ernst Leitz Gmbh Wetzlar Elmar f=9cm 1:4 Nr. 1248902", and it seems to be uncoated (well, there is no colored reflection on the front lens, as on Takumars or other lenses: is this enough to say that the lens is uncoated ?)

Thanks to all for the comments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

scsambrook wrote:

It would be good to know if these particular Elmars are older or younger models - coated or not.

Well, if that can help, mine is labelled "Ernst Leitz Gmbh Wetzlar Elmar f=9cm 1:4 Nr. 1248902", and it seems to be uncoated (well, there is no colored reflection on the front lens, as on Takumars or other lenses: is this enough to say that the lens is uncoated ?)

Thanks to all for the comments

Thanks for that info on the serial number - I guess it's a chrome lens with a black "leather-like" band round the rear of the mount? It should be coated. The early factory coating was not a particularly deep colour, so possibly - depending on the light - you've not seen it clearly.

According to some people the earlier coatings were soft and relatively easily removed by vigorous cleaning, which might mean yours now has an uncoated front surface! But the interior should not have been so affected.
Check to see if the interior is free from the misting which sometimes occurs and reduces contrast through the 'veiling' that then happens - maybe that's what's taking the edge off the vibrance in your picture.

I don't presently have an Elmar, but my 135 Hektor, which is a bit younger than your lens, does benefit from using a lens hood under some conditions.

Nice little lens, hope you get lots of enjoyment using it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Indianadinos -

Please excuse my messing with your image, but your Elmar will certainly produce crisp images with just a little tweaking - I was really curious to see how the picture would brighten up.

P.S. - There's actually less difference here on MF site than I see on my own monitor

Nice lens! I should get one for myself, again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

integrale wrote:
The below shot is just a testshot during cooking:

EXCELENT. I see the pic and I feel inside the kitchen.

Which lens? Samyang 85/1,4?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
integrale wrote:
The below shot is just a testshot during cooking:

Rino.

Thank you - it's a Leitz Elmarit-R 90mm converted to Nikon F-mount with the leitax.com solution (on a D700).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Rino.

Smile Smile Smile.

I like!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Rino.

Ouch, I agree, amazing shot! Should be moved to the old 3D thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

integrale wrote:
My Nikon 100E 2.8 has the same white fog and it IS easy to correct in PP.

I have several Leitz Elmarits converted to Nikon F-mounts (35, 90 and 135 and a 500 MR-Telyt incomming), and they can provide great IQ. The below shot is just a testshot during cooking:

Like this so so much from the very first time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much - you're too kind! I think it is the combination of a very good lens and a fine full frame camera.

I'm in love with the Elmarit 90, it just keeps pushing out great pictures; even though I also have the "Cream Machine" (Nikkor 85/1.4D) - which is in its own rights an amazing lens - I keep using the Elmarit 90.

I also very much enjoy the Elmarit 35mm that captures great details.´ I find the Elmarit 135mm difficult to use, at least my "keeper rate" from that is not very high.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I'm sorry - if this is considered thread-jacking, pls let my know]

I shot the below picture of my youngest sun yesterday (he's sick, probably with H1N1, but much better today). It's the Elmarit 135mm 1/80; f/2.8 and ISO1800 on my Nikon D700.