Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two part lens adapter repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Two part lens adapter repair Reply with quote

I bought a Contax/Yashica to 4/3 lens adapter on eBay to use an old 400mm Sigma lens on my Olympus E-520. It worked very well, an nice tight fit, unlike the sloppy M42 to 4/3 I also have.

But after a few days use it felt a little sloppy. I assumed the strain of the long lens (about 1kg) had worn/bent it enough to loosen it, although I mostly hold it by the lens. Then I went to pick the camera up, and the lens came off! The three little screws holding the two parts of the adapter together had come undone, leaving the silver 4/3 half on the camera, and the black C/Y part still on the lens. Luckily it didn't fall.

I expect this type of adapter has to be made in two parts because of the locking lever inside it.

I've just screwed it back together, and it seems as good as new, but I'm sure it will come apart again. So I'm wondering:
- Has this happened to anyone else?
- What should I do to securely repair it?
- Are three tiny screws strong enough to hold the two halves together, even if they don't come undone? I.e. could a heavy lens break them?

I was thinking I would put a little two part epoxy inside before assembly, and also put a tiny bit in the screw holes. Does that sound secure enough?

I'd add more screws instead, but I'd have to buy a tiny tap, and possibly a tap handle too.

I've included the picture of the adapter off the eBay ad so you can tell what I'm talking about. I assume they're all selling a similar design, so probably no reflection on this particular seller. You can see the three screws in question on the silver part in the photo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Two part lens adapter repair Reply with quote

pshute wrote:
- Are three tiny screws strong enough to hold the two halves together, even if they don't come undone? I.e. could a heavy lens break them?

I was thinking I would put a little two part epoxy inside before assembly, and also put a tiny bit in the screw holes. Does that sound secure enough?

I just looked at the pictures on every eBay ad for this type of adapter, and every single one uses just three screws, so I assume that's strong enough. So perhaps gluing the mating surfaces is overkill, and just a tiny drop on the threads is enough to guarantee it won't happen again?