Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone using a converted Hexanon 57 1.2 on a Canon 5D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Anyone using a converted Hexanon 57 1.2 on a Canon 5D? Reply with quote

I've only seen a few conversions, and I think I've only read one instance of someone using it on a 5D (shaved). I'm just wondering if anyone here has successfully converted or used a converted version of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it works Haley.
The register is too short by about 8mm if I remember correctly.

I have a Rokkor 1.2/58 which adapts fairly easy to eos although for the 5D you must shave the mirror a bit.
Are you just curious or thinking of trying a Hex 1.2/57?
The Hexanon lenses are really fantastic but have very limited compatibility with other mounts.
You could use them with m4/3 cameras straight away or adapt to standard 4/3 fairly easily. Of course that damn 2x crop factor eats up half of the FOV. Rolling Eyes
There is always film Razz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a soft spot for the Hexanon. It's one of the first MFs I fell in love with, and I'm frustrated that I can't use it on ff. I've seen a few posts about converting it for Canon, but only one post about someone using it successfully on a 5D.

I've yet to shave my mirror. I did, however, snap it completely off with the Helios 44-2. I suppose I should get around to shaving it one of these days.

Film would probably break me at this point. I've already donated my future childrens' college funds to Polaroid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it and buy another one what is fit without conversion. Like Nikkor 55mm f1.2 or buy a Panasonic G1 body for Hexanons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio did a nice Tute on Shaving the 5D mirror.
There are others online as well. I did mine in 1/2 an hr a couple years ago.
It's worth it if you have lenses that you can't live without.
Not so much if you are doing it just for one particular lens.
I would not bother for a Helios 44-2. Just use another lens.

Could you post a link to the page regarding the character who converted a hex 1.2/57 for 5D?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I'm currently sitting. The Helios 44-2 and 44-3 are the only ones that are a problem, and I have no intention of trying to use them at infinity, anyway. If it were Hexanon, though, I'd be a little more willing.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/775731/0#7120262

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi haley,
I have converted many Konica lenses including 1.2/57mm to EOS mount before Panasonic G1 was born.
It should be also mentioned , if you want to use it with EOS 5D body, you have to shave the mirror ca 4.8mm including modification the mirror box !.
Personally I would not modifiy the mirror box, just to see how it performs on FF body.
IMO ,using converted konica lenses with crop body is easier and no modification necessary or better as atilla said (with Panasonic G1 body), but 2x crop factor blocks wide angle effect and you have to live with.
Regards