Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

I bought the lens this week and took it for a test run in the weekend.
This is a lens I liked immediately. Sharp and very saturated colors. Bokeh is a matter of opinion but I like it.
It reminds me a lot of the 2.4/35 Flek. Some samples: No sharpening (none necessary) or color enhancement.
Fall colors again, but most of the leaves will be on the ground next weekend.

I found the leave like this. It's not arranged.

100% crop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely dog and some fine samples of a very popular lens - deservedly so

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely dog and nice samples, congrats

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Lovely dog and some fine samples of a very popular lens - deservedly so

patrickh

Thanks Patrick!
There is a lot of nice backgrounds around now, so the dog is useful to bring along for the composition.
She is a nice dog, maybe not totally enthusiastic about posing for the camera, but obedient enough to stay in place.
Some lenses take a while to get aquainted to, but this one was very easy to get nice results from.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
lovely dog and nice samples, congrats

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're some really lovely shots Sven - and it looks like some great glass found its way into the hands of a great shooter Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice frosty fall colours!

Looks like a keeper..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Your comments are appreciated.
It's a season of many colors now, but soon it will become almost monochrome.
The lens looks like a keeper indeed. I should probably sell off some other lense though. The cupboard is starting to fill Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of the Pancolar you did use?
6 or 8 blades?
The zebra or the later version?
Thorium or later.?

Please tell more about the lens.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely autumn shots and what superb colours!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
6 or 8 blades?
Thorium or later.?

Cheers
Henry

It's a six blade MC. Black not a zebra.
Not shure what Thorium is.
Serial no: 10091355
Close up limit 0.35 m

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Lovely autumn shots and what superb colours!

Thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
6 or 8 blades?
Thorium or later.?

Cheers
Henry

Close up limit 0.35 m

Thorium is a radioactiv alpha emitter.
You can find this element on the periodic table of Elements.. !

Thorium oxid was earlier used for building glasses with a higher light transmission ratio and was displaced in the fact that many people where angry about his radioactive behavior. But this was a boring discussion, because the emisson was so small, the alpha parts are not able to permeate the upper parts of the peel.

The Thorium / Zebra versions IMHO do have the better performance and often the so called "Yellowing" of the glasses.

I did own all versions of the Pancolar and do like the 8-Blade Zebra Version most. It has a nicer Bokeh, great sharpness from edge to edge on a
FF - Cam. Your version is nice but not the best IMHO. Look for the Zebra Version, if you search the best of them.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohy, I had several of both lens.

I prefer the MC, has more contrast than the zebras - in my copies at least-and specially the MC red, like you have.

Yes, it is the yellowish version (like all of the oldest models).

The center resolution is very good but not as good as the Flekt 2,4/35, but at the center the 1,8/50 beat the flekt.

Best aperture F/5,6-8.

I used them a lot - but in M42 I prefer the S-M-C 1,4 now.

Enjoy, great lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot!
Loves the color of 2nd picture and the feeling of "winter is coming" from the pictures of ice on leaves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Sven wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
6 or 8 blades?
Thorium or later.?

Cheers
Henry

Close up limit 0.35 m

Thorium is a radioactiv alpha emitter.
You can find this element on the periodic table of Elements.. !

Thorium oxid was earlier used for building glasses with a higher light transmission ratio and was displaced in the fact that many people where angry about his radioactive behavior. But this was a boring discussion, because the emisson was so small, the alpha parts are not able to permeate the upper parts of the peel.

The Thorium / Zebra versions IMHO do have the better performance and often the so called "Yellowing" of the glasses.

I did own all versions of the Pancolar and do like the 8-Blade Zebra Version most. It has a nicer Bokeh, great sharpness from edge to edge on a
FF - Cam. Your version is nice but not the best IMHO. Look for the Zebra Version, if you search the best of them.

Cheers
Henry

Henry,
Regarding the radioactivity of Thorium, you are right the alpha particles is heavy and can not travel more than several cm in air in normal radioactive source. Skin is good enough to stop it. So only if it was in the body, it would be harmful to people.
I'm more interested in the fact of "yellowing" of the glasses. Is that the glass getting yellow after years because the decay of Thorium? If this is true, then UV light could cure the glass.
The decay product of Thorium is lead. And the lead glass will get dark(yellow or brown) when exposing in high radiation environment. Exposing the yellowed glass under UV light(or sun light) could cure the glass to be more clear. And as far as the transparency is concerned, the best way is to put it in a oven and bake it(if you don't care the coating)! Razz
Maybe someone has mentioned this in the past, just want to add some scientific explanation to it. And sorry about involving so much physics here
Wink
Cheers,
Wei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A keeper, definitely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments and the Thorium lecture.

I didn't really expect that much from this lens, so it came as a pleasent surprise. I paid around 60$ for it so it feels like good value for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sven

i thought i would take a look at some of your other pix and i must say this is a great set, esp 1 and 6, and of course your collie! i love the close up--people dont always like that perspective, but i am fond of it--take a look at:

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-optika-135mm-2-8-with-sigma-sd14-t21359.html

also, not sure why looking at some lovely shots like you posted leads one to not comment but simply suggest you dont have such a great lens--i think many just enjoy your talent, and count me among them.

tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hey sven

i thought i would take a look at some of your other pix and i must say this is a great set, esp 1 and 6, and of course your collie! i love the close up--people dont always like that perspective, but i am fond of it--take a look at:

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-optika-135mm-2-8-with-sigma-sd14-t21359.html

also, not sure why looking at some lovely shots like you posted leads one to not comment but simply suggest you dont have such a great lens--i think many just enjoy your talent, and count me among them.

tony

Thanks a lot!
I like your shots as well. Athena seems to be a lovely dog. More pics of her please. I believe the Meyer is also called the bokeh monster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricl wrote:
Beautiful colors and a lovely dog. My Pancolar came today but the weather is bad, it's gray and dull so I will have to wait to try it out. I hope you enjoy the lens!

Hälsningar från Trollhättan

Thanks!
Looking forward to see your captures with the pancolar.
I'm also hoping for better weather.