Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

zeiss pancolar 50mm at iso 400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: zeiss pancolar 50mm at iso 400 Reply with quote

hi friends

i wanted to try out some of the suggestions members made regarding my macro photos with my sigma sd14. i combined the focus confirm function with shooting at a higher iso--all at 400, except the first two at 200. i think the images are much improved, though maybe grainy? the resolution is a little better if you click on each photo. as always comments/critique welcome!
tony

i couldnt resist including this one of athena--can you blame me?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, images are much improved, congrats!
great pic of athena

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu thank you so much, on behalf of myself and athena! Laughing

the credit for any improvement in my images goes to the members of this forum....
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, the results are miles better...far sharper Smile My point about AF confirm was going to be watch out if you use it, as they are often not that accurate. As it is, all looks much better Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you shrek. to be honest, had not you and others suggested it, it would have taken me some time before i tried shooting outdoors at 400 w the sd14, esp given the disappointing results i have had from that setting indoors.

i agree about the AF confirm-it only gets you close, but not all the way there!

thanks again
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good congrats!!!
the photos are nice i really like the last one with the dog.

Regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much catalin, i appreciate your post. as for the dog, it is not the photographer in this case, yes, but the subject! Laughing
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these ones are much more improved (except number 6 maybe)

rbelyell, i don't know why but i have a feeling that you're a good person.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uzay, thank you very much for your kind words. yes, 6 was a little breezy, so not as clear. and i believe you think im a good guy because i have a great dog! Very Happy

btw, i am very interested in your thoughts on your samyang 85 1.4 lens. do you like it? do you have some pix to post? would love to see!
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
btw, i am very interested in your thoughts on your samyang 85 1.4 lens. do you like it? do you have some pix to post? would love to see!
tony

I received the item today but they sent me the wrong mount even though i told them that i want Nikon mount at least 3 times via email, i'm dissapointed since i was very excited to receive and shot quickly but i will have to wait more Sad So the pics later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that's too bad...nobody pays attention anymore--short attention span spawned by video game culture! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, I really like the colors out of the Sigma. I don't know too much about the SD14, but a properly exposed ISO400 image should be quite good on almost any modern DSLR, indoors or outdoors, the problems arise when you underexpose and are forced to push in post.

Nice lookin dog as well!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dave, i appreciate it, and so does athena. Laughing i really couldnt be more pleased with the output from the sigma, tho it is a pretty tough camera to use. ive only had it for a month so im hoping it will become more second nature as time goes on.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony
Your dog is super cool Very Happy I love dogs!

The one thing missing to make your pictures jump a bit is some light.
Practice technique all you want. Shooting without good light is like going snorkeling in unclear water. You might see something but it's magnificence will be veiled.

All that we see is a reflection of the light hitting it. Dull light= dull reflection.
Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sunshine, and athena thanks you as well. shes a great dog and a better companion-always by my side.

thats interesting what you say about the light and looking at the pictures with that in mind i definitely see your point. i see you live in washington state? if so you must have an issue with lighting, and i have a similar problem where i live. its gorgeous here in the mountains but we can go days at a time without a whole lotta sun, so sometimes we have to takes 'em as we gets 'em! Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine captures.
I'm trying out the Pancolar as well and I like it so far.
More pictures of Athena are welcome. She seems to be a charming dog.
White German Shepards are not very common here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sven, and thank you so much for your compliments! white shepherds are not so common here either, and we were very lucky to get athena from a breeder half way across the country. i work from home and she has proved to be a great companion.

i see we have a number of lenses in common in addition to the pancolar-- the meyer 135 and the mir 35mm 2.0, both of which i like very much, esp the mir as it is difficult to get fast wide angle lenses. i think the bokeh on the meyer is great, and as i get more used to it i am liking the sharpness of the pancolar. i would love to see some pictures from you with those lenses!

thanks again
tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1st and last pic. I'm a sucker for dogs!
Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hi sven, and thank you so much for your compliments! white shepherds are not so common here either, and we were very lucky to get athena from a breeder half way across the country. i work from home and she has proved to be a great companion.

i see we have a number of lenses in common in addition to the pancolar-- the meyer 135 and the mir 35mm 2.0, both of which i like very much, esp the mir as it is difficult to get fast wide angle lenses. i think the bokeh on the meyer is great, and as i get more used to it i am liking the sharpness of the pancolar. i would love to see some pictures from you with those lenses!

thanks again
tony

If I can persuade my wife our next dog will be a German shepard.

I think I have been a little too busy buing lenses lately. It's not a bad idea to use them a little as well. I realize the the MIR has been somewhat neglected since I first tried it out.
If the weather allows I will take the MIR out for a spin this weekend and perhaps be able to show some pics.

Meanwhile, some samples.

Meyer

Meyer

MIR

MIR

Meyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! the first and last are precious! you also got some nice color out of the mir--i think this is an underrated lens...is your dog an austrailian shepherd or maybe a collie?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
very nice! the first and last are precious! you also got some nice color out of the mir--i think this is an underrated lens...is your dog an austrailian shepherd or maybe a collie?

Thanks!
She's a collie but I can see that she might be taken for an Aussie at that angle. They usually have shorter tails I think.

I think both lenses really are keepers. The Meyer is great for portraits. The bokeh is hard to beat.
The MIR could be underrated. I got mine very cheap and it seems to be good value for the money. My experience of it is too limited though.
I posted a previous thread with some more samples
http://forum.mflenses.com/mir-1b-2-8-37-t19943,highlight,mir1b.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sven

wow, those are some great shots with the mir--i love the car. i agree about the bokeh on the meyer, though i tell you, i recently took some test shots with a new lens i just received the tamron bbar 70-150mm and i really did not expect to love the bokeh as much as i did. what do you think-here is the link:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-bbar-70-150mm-3-5-just-received-t21928.html

as i have a problem matching the quality of the uploads with my actual pictures, please click on each picture to get best resolution, contrast and sharpness.

i look forward to your thoughts and to more of your pictures!
tony