Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question re: Early Vivitar Series 1, PK mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Question re: Early Vivitar Series 1, PK mount Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a quick question for the folks using Pentax K versions of the first group of Vivitar Series 1 lenses (my experience with these lenses has been limited, until now, to the M42 versions).

Can I pretty much count on the fact that I would have to grind away the extra flange in order to use any of these lenses on my K20D? I'm not at all nervous about the actual grinding procedure, but I have some concerns about being able to mask off the area securely enough to prevent stray metal filings from getting inside the lens. (I've seen this discussion, but any additional suggestions would be most welcome.)

Thanks!

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure about your Viv, but I've been lucky with a couple of other makes with a large shield, in that the shield was on a plastic moulding easily removed from the lens before cutting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

I don't have an S1 Viv, only a Viv 75-205 3.8, which i needed to shave to fit on my K10D. I used a micro-fiber cloth to protect the rear element of the lens and the mount, and some adhesive tape, to get a setup almost as the one showed in the other thread.

What is important, IMHO, is to use a big cloth, refolded more than once on itself and a lot of adesive tape (i have used the yellow one, the kind of tape used to protect a the painting of car when you fix a little scratch - don't know how it is called in english), to prevent metal filings inside the lens.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes for your S1.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That flange is usually on a removable plate and only held in place by three or four small screws. Not hard to remove at all. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Big Dawg wrote:
That flange is usually on a removable plate and only held in place by three or four small screws. Not hard to remove at all. Good luck with it.

So, this means that i could have removed the plate with the flange to use the lens with my K10D, instead of shaving it ? Is the flange used only to protect the inner lever ?

Cheers