Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Distagon 2/28 "Hollywood" on 5DII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Contax Distagon 2/28 "Hollywood" on 5DII Reply with quote

Reviewing interaction between Contax Distagon 2/28 and EOS 5DII

These are only quick test shots from my house, I will add more interesting photos when I can go to nicer places.

Close up focusing, no mirror problem:

100% crop:

Focus on the background line of trees, approx. 400 mt distance, no mirror problem:

Focus to infinity, mirror could not swing back, I had to unmount lens after shot
(with live view no mirror problem):

100% crop:

Focused on the house roof right of the pole, approx. 120-150 mt distance, no mirror problem:

One remarkable thing for me is how dimensional the rendering in spite of the very crappy flat lighted weather.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens renders really dull and crappy images - get rid of it and get a good one for your new "flagship" camera body, I'll send you my address....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather is not nice here neither, but the truly good lens performs and
reveals its nature under such a condition.

Viva hollywood (not movie) Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
The lens renders really dull and crappy images - get rid of it and get a good one for your new "flagship" camera body, I'll send you my address....

And the body also is really bad. But don't worry, Orio, I will take care of it. Just send the body to me. Very Happy

Wow! Tha 100% crop looks like a whole frame pic of a compact digicam!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb results in such weather! I am glad you can use your best Zeiss without mirror cutting

Carsten wrote:
Wow! Tha 100% crop looks like a whole frame pic of a compact digicam!

In your dream Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Orio!
Thank you for this test!

I was excluding this lens because of mirror issues with the 5D, but I never focus to infinity so, I think it should be more than ok to me.

Can you confirm if your lens is in a 100% stock condition, without modifications at the rear end?

I was looking for something wider, like the Zuiko 21mm f/2.0, but I'll not loose the opportunity, if I find a good deal in one of these. Wink

Which other top-quality wide angle lenses did you test and how do you like this one compared to them (shapness, colour and contrast)?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlizard wrote:
Very interesting, Orio!
Thank you for this test!
I was excluding this lens because of mirror issues with the 5D, but I never focus to infinity so, I think it should be more than ok to me.
Can you confirm if your lens is in a 100% stock condition, without modifications at the rear end?
I was looking for something wider, like the Zuiko 21mm f/2.0, but I'll not loose the opportunity, if I find a good deal in one of these. Wink
Which other top-quality wide angle lenses did you test and how do you like this one compared to them (shapness, colour and contrast)?

Be careful when using this lens on an unshaved 5D (first type)
You risk to damage the rear glass. I did test the lens on the unshaved 5D with the rear glass protected py a pec pad + masking tape and the test showed that the mirror can hit also the glass not only the barrel's edge.

My lens has no physical modification, but I am not going to sell it...

I have used wide angle lenses of several brands. I am not really the test kind, I prefer to use lenses "on the field". I find the Distagon 2/28 to be the best 28mm lens that I have tried, but I have not tried them all. The quality of the 2/28 has more to do with the overall aspect of the image rather than specific qualities like sharpness for instance. If you want sharpness there are sharper lenses, like the small brother Distagon 2.8/28.
If the subject moves to all the wide angles, of any focal lenght, it becomes too big a subject to be answered here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Orio.

I was not expecting you to sell your copy. Wink
I now own the 5D Mark II. Do you find it more "mirror friendly" than the first 5D, or is it the same?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought one today! Very Happy
MM version, made in West germany.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit more mirror friendly, mostly because with live view you can use many lenses that were not useable at all even on shaved 5D (but you have to take care to operate it properly).

With the Distagon 2/28 however you will have to shave the mirror of the 5DMkII also if you want to use it trouble free in normal mode at infinity focus (as indicated in my review).

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

How much would this lens cost today? I saw a nice looking one in a shop but no price on it.

Thanks'n Regards,

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a very good dealer who has two of these in stock in E++ condition, the AE one is £649.00 and the MM is £799.00.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone compare the contax version to the new ZE version?
I havent either of these lens as of yet, but the cost difference would not be an issue so I wait for a good comparison.
In the meantime I use my CY 28/2.8.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, which adapter are you using?

While I am waiting for my Planar 1,4/85 (Contax), I am wondering if the adapter I ordered will prove effective...

I find the appearance of the Contax lenses very superior to the ZF/ZE/...
The focus ring on my 2/35 also feels too stiff.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, you may find this interesting:

Source: http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Zeiss_28mm_ZE_3.html

I can say without a doubt, given a choice between the original Contax 28mm F2 Distagon and a Zeiss 28mm F2 Distagon ZE, I would select the Zeiss 28mm F2 ZE every time. Some of my reasons include:
•Close-up performance at wide apertures (such as F2) is very good; most likely better than any of the three Contax 28mm F2’s I owned.
•The fully automatic aperture makes the lens more enjoyable and easier to use, and back at home in front of the computer - all the EXIF data is there - including the aperture value.
•There is no need for a third party lens adapter, so one variable is removed from the performance equation along with that nagging doubt of whether or not the adapter is compromising the lens’ performance.
•Canon 5D and 5D Mark II owners will no longer need to worry about mirror clearance.
•Purchasing a new 28mm ZE is mostly like cheaper than buying a Contax 28mm F2 Distagon plus a CY/EOS adapter, Contax 55-86 Metal Ring and Contax #2 Metal Hood. Also, Contax AE lenses are no longer serviceable by Zeiss; MM lenses are still serviced.
•Should there be anything wrong with a newly purchased 28mm ZE, replacement is simply a matter of returning the lens to the dealer for exchange or refund.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Orio, which adapter are you using?

I use Big Is, and I'm happy, but if you want to spend more money on the HappypageHK ones, they tell me they're great.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Hollywood 28/2 today Smile The shop had it for a bit less than what ManualFocus-G mentioned for the AE version, just a little under £600.

Tried it before the light faded when I got home. It must be my adapter as the shots don't look as sharp as I would expect from CZ lens. Shots were made f:8 in fading light. No PP just resize to 1024x768. All focus at infinity, with no mirror hitting.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I blamed the adapter too quickly. I tried some shots at infinity with LiveView and it's just perfect now. I though I got myself a 'dud'-Distagon Shocked