Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two for bellows - Micro-Nikkor 105/4 and Componon 105/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Two for bellows - Micro-Nikkor 105/4 and Componon 105/5.6 Reply with quote

Two lenses today, both 105mm, both acquired with a view to use on my PB-4 bellows.

This morning the postman delivered Micro-Nikkor 105m f/4 AIS, excellent condition optics and very good 9 a couple of small scratches in the paint) cosmetics. Nice positive aperture ring, beautifully smooth focus. There is a focus lock, which hardly sees necessary as the focus stays put at all positions even if the lens if used vertically.

And early this evening I went to the local second-hand camera shot to pick up a Scheider-Kreuznach Componon 105mm f/5.6 enlarger lens. I had bought it at the weekend, there was some haze inside due to evaporated lubricant from the blades, so the shop disassembled and cleaned it for me.

There was a bit of raking around to find an adapter, this lens seems to have a rather small threaded mount, but eventually an "it fits" to M39 do-dad was found. (The rear element from the lens needed to be unscrewed to fit this, odd...) This in turn mounts to a nice chromed brass M39 to Nikon F adapter.

I took a "make sure it works" shot with the Micro-Nikkor this morning, and a few "does it work" shots on the bellows with the Componon. Unexpectedly, I do get infinity focus with the Componon, with the bellows close to the minimum extension. Also, there seems to be no obvious vignetting with either shift or tilt. However, those quick tests were made after sunset and at ISO3200 so I need to wait until the weekend to do some real exploration.

Pictures of both lenses once I have them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not "odd" Chris, as I have presented in the Schneider document links in your PB-4 thread. It is the normal procedure to take off the rear element of a lens if it is fitted into a COMPUR SIZE 00 SHUTTER and then screw the rear lens elemet back on the rear side of the shutter. That lens mount is M25 and there exists a ring made by Schneider to adapt to M39 for that purpose.

The EL-Nikkor 135mm (older chrome/black) type has the same mount under the rear ring with M39 outside; Nikon supplied it to fit both mounts. I always wondered why that would do that.... Wink

Congrats to the Nikon 105mm, a great lens indeed, just a bit long when mounted on a PB-4.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Two for bellows - Micro-Nikkor 105/4 and Componon 105/5. Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

so I need to wait until the weekend to do some real exploration.

yea, lets us see some Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
You are in for a real treat and you are going to have fun. Two excellent lenses. Do share your fun with us

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It's not "odd" Chris, as I have presented in the Schneider document links in your PB-4 thread. It is the normal procedure to take off the rear element of a lens if it is fitted into a COMPUR SIZE 00 SHUTTER and then screw the rear lens elemet back on the rear side of the shutter. That lens mount is M25 and there exists a ring made by Schneider to adapt to M39 for that purpose.

Thanks for the explanation, Klaus.

There was a ring on it, but unscrewing revealed an even smaller thread.

The link you gave has some info on a Componon-S 100/5.6, I assume this is a newer version. Mine is all metal, chromed.

f-stop range: 5.6 - 32
focal length: 102.3 mm
magnification range |ß'|: 0.17 – 6 1)
nom. image circle-ø : 108 mm

if those are the same lenses, then the specifications and MTF look good.

Klaus, a little help please: if 1/ß = -3 (on the MTF charts) does that mean a magnification of 3:1 or 1:3? It seems that value gives the best (highest, flattest) MTF figures, the -6 and -12 ones are less flat.

kds315* wrote:
The EL-Nikkor 135mm (older chrome/black) type has the same mount under the rear ring with M39 outside; Nikon supplied it to fit both mounts. I always wondered why that would do that.... Wink

The man in the shop said that M39 was a late arriving standard, and before that a wide variety of mounts was used.

kds315* wrote:
Congrats to the Nikon 105mm, a great lens indeed, just a bit long when mounted on a PB-4.

I saw one in the same shop, AI version; the front element was badly scratched, there seemed to be fogging inside, and they wanted 180 euro for it.

After doing a bit more research it seemed like a good lens, and there was one in Japan (Matsuiyastore), AIS, mint optics, much better condition overall, 150 euro. So I got it. Took three days to come from Japan to France with tracking all the way, excellent.

Yes, it is a little long.

As the lens uses unit focusing, am I right to conclude that using bellows extension and using the helicoid would be exactly equivalent?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Klaus.

There was a ring on it, but unscrewing revealed an even smaller thread.

The link you gave has some info on a Componon-S 100/5.6, I assume this is a newer version. Mine is all metal, chromed.

f-stop range: 5.6 - 32
focal length: 102.3 mm
magnification range |ß'|: 0.17 – 6 1)
nom. image circle-ø : 108 mm

if those are the same lenses, then the specifications and MTF look good.

Klaus, a little help please: if 1/ß = -3 (on the MTF charts) does that mean a magnification of 3:1 or 1:3? It seems that value gives the best (highest, flattest) MTF figures, the -6 and -12 ones are less flat.

kds315* wrote:

The man in the shop said that M39 was a late arriving standard, and before that a wide variety of mounts was used.

kds315* wrote:

I saw one in the same shop, AI version; the front element was badly scratched, there seemed to be fogging inside, and they wanted 180 euro for it.

After doing a bit more research it seemed like a good lens, and there was one in Japan (Matsuiyastore), AIS, mint optics, much better condition overall, 150 euro. So I got it. Took three days to come from Japan to France with tracking all the way, excellent.

Yes, it is a little long.

As the lens uses unit focusing, am I right to conclude that using bellows extension and using the helicoid would be exactly equivalent?

beta = 0 at Infinity, -1 at 1:1 (1x), so 1/beta= -3 means 1/3rd life size (the negative sign comes from the inversion of an image "upside down" when using a lens, so don't let that confuse you (based on DIN 1335)

That's quite a good price for a 4/105mm Micro Nikkor and matsuiyastore is a very reliable and fast seller, so you should be pleased!