Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 with canon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/BulandoHeter/Helios#
Hi everyone, I just found this great forum that discuss about MF lens. I just start on MF lens for maybe 2 month. so need everyone to give me some valuable opinion. Recently I want to buy a Helios 85mm, the 40. but it really confuse me on the mounting. I using a 5Dmkii which i got the M42 adapter already, and i do a little research but still i got like no answer. I saw two different version of helios 40 they seem to have different ring at the bottom, so i am not sure which one will fit on my 5D. so would anyone know or have experiences with this?

as you see, they are different at the ring at bottom.
first one listed as M42, second one list as ring39/42. so i got confuse by that
thanks for everyone will look at this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

turegrave wrote:
Hi everyone, I just found this great forum that discuss about MF lens. I just start on MF lens for maybe 2 month. so need everyone to give me some valuable opinion. Recently I want to buy a Helios 85mm, the 40. but it really confuse me on the mounting. I using a 5Dmkii which i got the M42 adapter already, and i do a little research but still i got like no answer. I saw two different version of helios 40 they seem to have different ring at the bottom, so i am not sure which one will fit on my 5D. so would anyone know or have experiences with this?

as you see, they are different at the ring at bottom.
first one listed as M42, second one list as ring39/42. so i got confuse by that
thanks for everyone will look at this post

1st post, the images don't show. Quoting it takes care of the problem. Welcome, turegrave! There are a bunch of very knowledgeable folks here who should be able to answer your questions.

I have a question: what is that wheel on the side of the lens for? Fine focus? If so, I think I'm in love.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome turegrave, you just got the gem of portrat lens, Helios-40 is very good lens especially in portrait. You'll get the smooth bokeh and render in color.

I don't know about the different but there are M39 vertion too.

I have one with black body and bit different with yours that I don't remember, sorry. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a question: what is that wheel on the side of the lens for? Fine focus? If so, I think I'm in love.

The tripod collar rotates. The wheel is a locking screw.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Thats right. It seems there are actually at least three distinct versions of Helios 40:
1) The earliest model is silver in finish, has an M39 screw mount, a non-standard 66mm filter thread and a fixed position mounting collar. Thats the model I have and its the same as the one in the last pic shown above.
2) The second has a silver finish, either an M39 or M42 mount (possibly produced first with M39 then later an M42 mount?) and a rotating tripod mounting collar...But I dont know what size filter thread this version has?
3) The black finish Helios 40-2 version which has an M42 mount, a rotating tripod mounting collar and a standard 67mm filter thread.
Optically they are apparently near identical though its possible better coatings are used on the 40-2 model. (?)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
sichko wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Thats right. It seems there are actually at least three distinct versions of Helios 40:
1) The earliest model is silver in finish, has an M39 screw mount, a non-standard 66mm filter thread and a fixed position mounting collar. Thats the model I have and its the same as the one in the last pic shown above.
2) The second has a silver finish, either an M39 or M42 mount (possibly produced first with M39 then later an M42 mount?) and a rotating tripod mounting collar...But I dont know what size filter thread this version has?
3) The black finish Helios 40-2 version which has an M42 mount, a rotating tripod mounting collar and a standard 67mm filter thread.
Optically they are apparently near identical though its possible better coatings are used on the 40-2 model. (?)

Thanks for everyone's welcome
Hi DGS, So do you know If I get the M39 version can I use it on 5D with a M42 mount? I just afraid that I buy something can can't fit on my camera>_<

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

turegrave wrote:
DSG wrote:
sichko wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Thanks for everyone's welcome
Hi DGS, So do you know If I get the M39 version can I use it on 5D with a M42 mount? I just afraid that I buy something can can't fit on my camera>_<

Yes, you just need an M39-M42 adapter ring to allow it to fit via an M42-EF adapter.
Heres the first one I found on ebay after searching, but there may be cheaper versions too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/42mm-39mm-M42-to-M39-Lens-mount-adapter-for-Leica-Zenit_W0QQitemZ110356045198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET?hash=item110356045198&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 with canon Reply with quote

IC, thanks you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptor would be M39 to M42 or M42 to M39?

I bought one M39 - M42 adaptor and it didn't work. I haven't got any M39 lens yet but I tried to use the M42 rear cap from my Takumar 55/1.8 and it didn't work.

Then I try to use that same adaptor on the lens (M42) and it didn't work too.. Something is wrong...

I can't screw the adaptor on the lens (M42) but the other way I can't screw the cap (M42) on the adaptor...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take measuremets and report it here, a "don't work" is not really enough to solve an issue (sorry for the un-artsy comment...LOL)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
The adaptor would be M39 to M42 or M42 to M39?

M39 to M42...The M39 thread fits on the lens and the outer 42mm thread fit on your camera via an M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The one I bought was a step down adaptor so it doesn't work.

My mistake...

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got myself a M39 Helios 40 that is in transit. I've bought the M39 to M42 adapter from that seller DSG listed before for my Tair 11. Items take quite a while to arrive from him, mine went AWOL so he resent the order. Back on topic, that adapter will do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Just got myself a M39 Helios 40 that is in transit. I've bought the M39 to M42 adapter from that seller DSG listed before for my Tair 11. Items take quite a while to arrive from him, mine went AWOL so he resent the order. Back on topic, that adapter will do the trick.

good, looking froward to see your image with the helios!! since i didn't buy it yet, so really want to see more example with it! thanks you and thanks you for everyone who answering the question