Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Novoflex 600mm comparison with Nikkor 70-300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 600mm comparison with Nikkor 70-300mm Reply with quote

My Novoflex 600mm arrived yesterday. The day was pretty dull so I took a few shots to get familiar with the operation. Low light and contrast meant that I wasn't even trying to get anything.

Today, it was a bit brighter so, I took a few shots to compare it to my Nikkor 70-300mm.

The target was a palm tree with a fair amount of detail down the street from me. This is the shot from the 70-300mm at 300mm. Fine jpg straight from the camera reduced to 800-600 for the web. No other PP.

Next, the same image cropped to approximate the 600mm field of view.

And finally, the shot from the Novoflex 600mm. I did apply a bit of brightness reduction to this one otherwise, no PP except for resizing.

The 70-300mm was handheld, the 600mm on a tripod.

I expect to get better results when I am more familiar with the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not bad at all, consider this is a 600mm lens..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both photos appear to be equivalent in terms of sharpness. The Nikkor's color and contrast is higher, and it also appears to have a bit more depth of field. This might just be due to some metering differences, though. I know that with my Canon DSLR it tends to overexpose somewhat at smaller apertures.

Really to tell, next time, do a 100% crop of the 300mm image, and a 50% crop of the 600mm image and compare them. Or upsize the 300mm image's 100% frame 2x so it's the same size as the 600mm's. And then compare the two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 50s to 70s these lenses were among the favourites of wildlife and sports photographers.

Today, the Novoflex lenses are very good user lenses if you like to focus manually - and they are a bargain.

There are different models, the newer ones have two grips; the back grip is for focusing, the front grip has a release trigger and a plug for a cable, pretty cool with a motorized camera.

I own an older version with one grip and built-in bellows with a 5.6/280mm and 5.6/400mm head and a modern one with two grips, built-in extension tube and a 5.6/400 T-Noflexar (T is the better version) and 6.8/560 Leitz Telyt (a great lens). There was also a 5.6/560 Leitz head, it's even better, but very expensive today. All these lenses are made to be used at open aperture, stopping down does not change much.

I also have two original "TEX" converters, 1.5x and 2x. Pretty good, but you need a very stable tripod, mirror lockup and something like a loupe to enlarge what you see in the finder.

Good luck with these lenses, it takes a while to get used to them, but then they are great - especially if you can't afford a 4.0/600mm Canon USM IS lens and someone to carry it for you Smile