Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 500mm f8 Mirror Lens has anyone used this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Soligor 500mm f8 Mirror Lens has anyone used this? Reply with quote

looking at buying this depending on a few conditions(stops me buying anything and everything)
Is it a good lens...sharp etc I know bigger lens have different problems,and mirror lens are different again.
What should I ask the seller?
I really appreciate your help.I am slowly working out what lens I want and don't want.Mainly by using the lens and looking at the results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting here almost unused since I bought it. They are bloody heavy and there are better 500mm mirror lenses out there as far as image quality goes. There is a rotating disc inside for changing the aperture which goes to f16 with F11 as the other aperture option. I picked mine up for $100 aud if you want an idea of what a fair price for one would be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used mirror lenses before? For my taste they produce really ugly looking images, for example:

(Promaster 500/8)

(Rubinar Maksutov 1000/10)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@larsr No i have not used a mirror so no idea on how they work,silly but I like soligor and wondered if this would be a worthwhile addition to my little collection.

@xjjohnno Would it be possible for you to dust it off and provide a few photos?? Laughing

Hmmm might be worth letting it go.What would you use it for?as in what style of photo ...landscape,birds etc?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird pics for that focal length is great. Pictures of that cute young lady next door who never closes her curtains when dressing even better. I can provide sample images next couple of days. You are far better off getting a decent normal kind of lens though. Probably the most impressive pics I've seen from a mirror lens is one of the Russian brands, 3M 5A I think it was. Someone here might be able to steer you to something better then that Soligor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Soligor C/D 500 f/8 mirror, it's a T mount with a hood that stores over the rear part of the lens... To be honest I've tried 3 times and haven't got the hang of it yet. I haven't managed to get a truly sharp picture yet - I just don't get along with teles, or perhaps I have a bad sample.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I would appreciate it.
@Nesster, looks nice on the Yashica.This may be one soligor I let go Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Bird pics for that focal length is great. Pictures of that cute young lady next door who never closes her curtains when dressing even better. I can provide sample images next couple of days. You are far better off getting a decent normal kind of lens though. Probably the most impressive pics I've seen from a mirror lens is one of the Russian brands, 3M 5A I think it was. Someone here might be able to steer you to something better then that Soligor.

I have a 3M-5A. Quite happy with it:

bb2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, can be difficult to focus but capable of good results. Both of these shots were hand held in good weather

url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/200910/big_428__G104649_1.jpg][/url]

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Soligor, but a Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror. I got my best results when I changed out my focusing screen to a plain ground glass one. As you can see, depending on the DOF, the out-of-focus donuts don't have to be severe. Canon F-1, the first one is Kodachrome 64, the second is Fujichrome 100.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.....love the Galah and rainbow lorikeet,is it hard to obtain these shots?

Looks like you have to practice with this type of lens to get the best.
thanks for your replies thus far plenty of food for thought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
.....Looks like you have to practice with this type of lens to get the best....

It takes a lot of practice to master the mirrorlens but it's worth it. When you can do it with a mirrorlens, you can do it with any other type.

This one was with a Tokina 500mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ...Tokina so far followed by the Russian.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
xjjohnno wrote:

I have a 3M-5A. Quite happy with it:

bb2

What a dream place !!

I love your shoots, please publish more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila you must come to Australia ,the colours in the birdlife is amazing....and everything else... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Attila you must come to Australia ,the colours in the birdlife is amazing....and everything else... Laughing

Laughing I wish but 24 hrs flight and cost of travel ..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken with Tamron SP500 Mirror.

Still learning how to handle this small beast. Lots to learn about Bokeh control but very handy and loving it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:

It looks great and the donut bokeh is great in this one Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've found that occasionally the donut bokeh can add an interesting element to photos at times.

Beachboy2's shot is a really good example of this. The bokeh complement the round berries.