Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alien Among Us
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Alien Among Us Reply with quote

I was out last Saturday with the intention to test some of the lens. It had been quite a while since I last visited Botanical Garden. Actually, the last few times I was there, did not find anything interesting to shoot. This round, I was fortunate. I saw this strange "thing" under the shield. Looks like some aliens from sci-fi movie. I immediately took out my camera ...

To generate interest, I will temporary withold the name of this "beast" like thing. I am sure some of you already know what this is.

This was shot with Takumar 150/4 @ F4. Hope you like it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Alien Among Us Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I was out last Saturday with the intention to test some of the lens. It had been quite a while since I last visited Botanical Garden. Actually, the last few times I was there, did not find anything interesting to shoot.

My problem is that there is always too much to shoot.

Quote:
I am sure some of you already know what this is.

Yes - but it's very intriguing when you see it for the first time - and you don't know what it is. I see why you give it the "Alien" tag.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, "Alien" title makes interest to see what's picture Smile
Great shot - one more takumar looking for me to add my collection.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he, super shot of a very weird plant!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Alien Among Us Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
My problem is that there is always too much to shoot.

Lucky you. I now realize I really need a proper macro lens. Maybe next time I should bring alone my AF macro lens (oops) since I do not have a MF macro lens yet.

Quote:
Yes - but it's very intriguing when you see it for the first time - and you don't know what it is. I see why you give it the "Alien" tag

Actually this "alien" is quite common here. Have been among us for a long long time. Just that I never stop and see it in this form. Laughing I didn't even know it was there in the Botanical Garden.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darosk and Andyw, glad that you like the photo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alien Among Us Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:

Actually this "alien" is quite common here.

They are not unknown here. In a sheltered area the plants can grow big enough to produce the "Alien". I usually grow one or two in pots but they never grow big enough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Banana Flower Question Question

Nice shot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Hmmm.... Banana Flower Question Question

I am not saying anything yet. Having some fun here. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dare not go too near as I was afraid this "alien" will suddenly wake up and swallow me. Ha, ha, ha. Just kidding.

The truth was I was basically standing on some rocks on a slope. Left to me was a stream so I could not walked around for a total different angle shot.

Here is another shot with a different lens. This time Enna München Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5. This lens is surprisingly light. It should be one of the lightest lens I owned. What do you think about this lens?

Last edited by my_photography on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flower of genus musa

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sell the same at IKEA but I didn't get them because they take only up to 30W
just kidding Wink great shot!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, revealing the true identity of the alien and the mothership.

This is not the same tree with the other two photos. But they are quite nearby each other. This photo is a bit messy for my liking. I know I should crop it but I can't figure out how much to crop. The out of focus also not too pleasant if you look at it for sometime. Sorry about it.

I have learned a new word from this post. Banana plant = Genus Musa. Hope you have as much fun as I had. Just tyring to add some different colors to this wonderful forum.

By the way, this photo was taken with Enna München Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5 at F3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fine pictures and seem to capture what you were looking for

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Banana plant = Genus Musa

There is a family of plants called Musaceae. Most (all ?) plants in this family are called "banana plants". This family is divided into three groups or genera (plural of genus). They are

Musa
Musella
Ensete

The most prolific, in terms of species and varieties, and the number of plants grown worldwide are the Musa. However other "banana plants" find a niche. For example Musella lasiocarpa (Chinese Yellow Banana) is grown as pig food in parts of China. Most parts of the plant are eaten.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do I get the "first guess right" prize Very Happy Very Happy