Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Damn! Nikkor 28 doesn't fit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Damn! Nikkor 28 doesn't fit Reply with quote

I just got my Nikkor 28/3.5, put on the adapter - no problem - then I find it wont attach to the Canon 10D or the 5D. There is a big baffle sticking out of the back which seems to foul the innards of the Canon cameras. And I thought all the Nikkors could fit Canon with an adapter.

Are others familiar with this? Will shaving the baffle a little cure the problem or does it need hacking off? And will it still work with a Nikon after alteration?

How common is it for a Nikkor not to fit Canon? The 55/3.5 and 105/2.5 have no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Nikkor-H 3.5/28 ? If so, my best guess is that the baffle is there to protect the rear element if the lens is placed on it's back - but it's only a guess.

The Nikkor-UD 3.5/20 has a similar baffle. If you search the web you will find sites describing a "hack". And the lens is sometimes sold as having been "specially modified" to work on the 5D - I assume that it's been hacked ! On the UD the baffle is attached to the mount. If it's the same on the "H" it might be better to remove the mount before getting out the Dremel - easier than building up protection around the rear element.

"Will it work on a Nikon Body afterwards ?" Well it doesn't appear to serve any purpose on the D60. But maybe it does something on the film bodies ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's the "K" type shown here:

but the back element is flush with the mount so that's probably still the reason.

I've never hacked up a lens and I can't say I'm keen to start ... but, what to do?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I've never hacked up a lens and I can't say I'm keen to start ... but, what to do?

I would try a different adapter first. Cameraquest claims their adapters do not allow Nikkor 24/2.8 Ai-S to mount on any Canon body; however, my Chinese no-name adapters mount this lens just fine. Probably Cameraquest adapters are slightly thinner than needed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a try even though it looks as if the problem is probably too severe for that to cure it. My current adapter does focus past infinity with the 55mm and I need a second one. Any recommendation for a vendor selling the thick variety?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a picture of the "K" here...

(http://www.pbase.com/dreams202/image/110451292.jpg)

...it's been Ai'd but other pictures show it to be the K-version (the link was protected when I found it so I've retained the brackets).

It does appear to have the same sort of baffle as the UD 20 mm - the only one I'm familiar with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one, but it doesn't show up the baffle very well ... it's huge (at least, it looks huge when it's getting in the way):

Sorry about the dust. I'm too lazy to shoot it again after cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Yes, that's the one, but it doesn't show up the baffle very well ... it's huge (at least, it looks huge when it's getting in the way):

Sorry about the dust. I'm too lazy to shoot it again after cleaning.

Looks like its part of the bezel ring...You should find that its held on with 1 to 4 tiny screws...Just undo them and it should slide out and allow your lens to fit ok. Make sure you put the "baffle"/bezel ring in a safe place so you can replace it, if or when you want to sell the lens on again.
The only drawback with removing the bezel ring, which prevents dust getting into the back of the lens, is that you might possibly get a little dust entering the back of the lens if you forget to keep the dustcap on when not in use, but if its a case of not being able to use the lens at all or using it without the bezel ring then I'm sure you can work out which is the preferable option. Wink

Last edited by DSG on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better picture. The baffle is similar in size to the one on the 20 mm. One report suggested that it was necessay to cut it off because it fouled the 5D mirror - but your experience suggests that it's a more general problem - with the EOS mount. Sorry I can't help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John, it's not hitting the mirror, the lens simply won't get close enough to the bayonet to mount on the camera.

That's good news DSG, but I can't see any screws. Do I have to unscrew the silver lens-mount to find them? Here's the back of it:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

PaulC wrote:

That's good news DSG, but I can't see any screws. Do I have to unscrew the silver lens-mount to find them? Here's the back of it:

Just look on the left side of the picture from your previous post: you will see one of the little screws on the "neck" (collar ?) of the mount (i.e. they are perpendicular to the screws of the mount) ...

Sorry for my bad english ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see them now. Thank you. Now to find a small enough screw driver and a pair of glasses strong enough for my old eyes!