Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First shot with CZ Jena 50/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: First shot with CZ Jena 50/2.8 Reply with quote

I found this lens in my attic a few days ago. It must have been a thrift store find on a Praktikaflex FX. The glass and entire camera and case are like new, it has the 12 aperture blades. The focus is very stiff though, so I will probably have to disassemble to clean and relube the helical. Any instructions or advice would be appreciated. If it isn't easy to do, perhaps I could loosen things up with some lighter fluid?

Anyway, here's the first shot, mounted on my Lumix L1. 1/80 sec at f/2.8, ISO 200.

Last edited by cledry on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my, I don't think this is just the lens... what a fantastic, beautiful, perfect portrait!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Oh, my, I don't think this is just the lens... what a fantastic, beautiful, perfect portrait!

Thanks Nesster. She is a remarkable woman; I have been caring for her for the past 4 years, trying to make her last years happy and pain free.

This was just a quick shot that turned out quite well, and I think has a certain classic film look. I have always liked Tessar type lenses since my early days with a Rolleiflex.

I used a 150 watt fluorescent spot to light from just one side slightly above. I processed using Nik Silver Efex and added a very slight brown tone to warm the shot just a shade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you did a fantastic job

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Now, on to the stiff focus problem. Anyone know how to get at the helical to clean the old grease of and put fresh or how to soften up the existing grease? Assuming that is the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality image there. Well done. I love the lighting!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. Once in a while I surprise myself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: First shot with CZ Jena 50/2.8 Reply with quote

Nice one!

Apart from the Planar 1.4 and 1.7 the Jena lenses are my favourites on my L1 - Not even the Takumar 1.4 can match that glass! Smile

Of course the great lighting, subject matter and cameraman have all helped your photo! lol

cledry wrote:
I found this lens in my attic a few days ago. It must have been a thrift store find on a Praktikaflex FX. The glass and entire camera and case are like new, it has the 12 aperture blades. The focus is very stiff though, so I will probably have to disassemble to clean and relube the helical. Any instructions or advice would be appreciated. If it isn't easy to do, perhaps I could loosen things up with some lighter fluid?

Anyway, here's the first shot, mounted on my Lumix L1. 1/80 sec at f/2.8, ISO 200.