Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

should I try to clean this
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: should I try to clean this Reply with quote

All,

I have found the a round faint impression behind the front glass of the lens(as shown below). I think it is oil or grease from one of the inner tubes inside the lens barrel; but I am not sure. Should I try to clean it or just leave it alone?

thanks for looking,

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Should I try to clean it or just leave it alone?****

Well I turned the brightness to max and can see something like Saturn's rings?
But the common answer to these sort of questions is:- If you are happy with the results in your shots then don't bother. But if you are competent at taking a lens apart for cleaning, then why not...... anyway the important lens elements for smears, fungus etc are the back ones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

But the common answer to these sort of questions is:- If you are happy with the results in your shots then don't bother. But if you are competent at taking a lens apart for cleaning, then why not...... anyway the important lens elements for smears, fungus etc are the back ones.

+1 touch only if necessary and you able to finish it well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

thanks for the pointer, Excalibur, I will check my shots per your suggestion. I can take things apart, but putting the parts back together would be a whole new adventure:-).

Sadly, I think my new toy(ie. this lens) may have other issue -- I think somebody had taken the lens apart before and did not put it back together correctly. This lens is a zoom and it appears that the focus distance does not agree with the distance markers on the lens barrel -- at least on the wide-end. I will do some more test to confirm.

Cheers,

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****This lens is a zoom and it appears that the focus distance does not agree with the distance markers on the lens barrel -- at least on the wide-end. I will do some more test to confirm.***

Zooms are complicated, some guys just seem to be clever in taking them apart.....but not me and I end up with some handy screws and a magnifying glass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

cheve wrote:

Sadly, I think my new toy(ie. this lens) may have other issue -- I think somebody had taken the lens apart before and did not put it back together correctly. This lens is a zoom and it appears that the focus distance does not agree with the distance markers on the lens barrel -- at least on the wide-end. I will do some more test to confirm.

Be careful: the zoom lenses (at least the old ones, cannot be sure for the new AF ones) change the focal point when you change the focal length (maybe you have noticed this when focusing first and zooming later). The distance scale, thus, may be correct for a given focal length and not for the whole range ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos, thanks. I did not know that the distance scale may only be good for a given focal length. The lens in question is Tamron SP 60-300mm which I believe is relatively modern. I will test more over the weekend -- but it looks like I will have a new paper weight in my collection.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
...some handy screws and a magnifying glass.

I need some magnifying glass. So there is the option of turning this potential paper weight of mine to something more useful -- I like that idea. Laughing